Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default is electric heating likely to become cheaper than gas heating in future?

I'm wondering whether I should fork out for gas central heating in my new
house. However, I wonder if elctric heating will be cheaper than gas
heating after they build the new nuclear power stations. I think that's
what happened in France, isn't it?

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 21:37:38 +0000 (UTC), Al 1953
wrote:

I'm wondering whether I should fork out for gas central heating in my new
house. However, I wonder if elctric heating will be cheaper than gas
heating after they build the new nuclear power stations. I think that's
what happened in France, isn't it?

Al

Not likely. Electric is 3x 4x as expensive and that gap will not be
closed for the lifetime of any current type of gas/electric system.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
Al 1953 wrote:
I'm wondering whether I should fork out for gas central heating in my new
house. However, I wonder if elctric heating will be cheaper than gas
heating after they build the new nuclear power stations. I think that's
what happened in France, isn't it?

It seems unlikely in the short to medium term. Electricity is a secondary
energy source at the moment, and significant new nuke capacity is going to
be some time coming.

--
Cheers,

John.

I'd agree with that. I guess the current nuclear electricity cost must be
similar to combined cycle gas turbine electricity, which gives you about 60%
thermal efficiency.

But if it's heat you want, using gas direct gives you about 90%.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In direct heating terms, probably not - as a large proportion of our
electricity will continue to be generated from fossil fuels, even when
more nuclear power stations come on stream (plus the costs of cleaning
up emissions from both existing and new fossil fuel power stations).

However, electrically powered ground/air source heat pumps might
become much more attractive, as they already have a considerable
efficiency advantage over direct heating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSHP.

The initial costs are considerable though, and your site must be
suitable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 15:36:11 -0700, wrote:

However, electrically powered ground/air source heat pumps might
become much more attractive, as they already have a considerable
efficiency advantage over direct heating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSHP.

The initial costs are considerable though, and your site must be
suitable.

I think the running costs are similar: the possible advantage of heat
pumps nationally/strategically is that the electricity they use can in
principle be sourced from non-fossil sources (if such are available)
whereas GCH is of course restricted to fossil-fuel (unless one acquires
renewable source of methane or similar).

--
John Stumbles

What do you mean, talking about it isn't oral sex?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Al 1953 wrote on 24/03/2010 :
I'm wondering whether I should fork out for gas central heating in my new
house. However, I wonder if elctric heating will be cheaper than gas
heating after they build the new nuclear power stations. I think that's
what happened in France, isn't it?

You will be looking at a lead time of 10 to 15 years before any new
nuclear stations were to come on line and it will take many of them,
before they make any difference to the methods of generation. Costs
will not come down until their build has been more or less paid for, so
I would stick to gas and invest in good levels of insulation.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think the running costs are similar: the possible advantage of heat
pumps nationally/strategically is that the electricity they use can in
principle be sourced from non-fossil sources (if such are available)
whereas GCH is of course restricted to fossil-fuel (unless one acquires
renewable source of methane or similar).

My knowledge of these is not through practical experience of them,
but...

This is heat pumping, *not* geothermal heat.

This: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSHP#Thermal_efficiency

and everything else I've read about them says they deliver at least 3
times the heating efficiency of direct heating, *because* heat is
pumped.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No is the short answer, however...

#1 Insulation makes a huge difference.
With 2009 levels of insulation very little heating is required.

#2 CO2 Heat Pump at gas boiler price will take time.
CO2 heat pumps only hit parity (1kW out for 1kW in) down at -25oC and
are thus ideally suited to the UK temperature climiate. Existing
heatpumps are R410A and expensive (£1k), not the much more expensive
CO2 (£4k). The economy of scale of CO2 Heat Pumps is some way off -
probably 15yrs.
The benefit of CO2 Heat Pumps is very high real-world CoP (4:1) from
air sources avoiding the "dig cost" of ground source heat pumps. The
long term risk of such heat pumps I suspect may be noise based - a
neighbourhood of such pumps battling a heat island effect could get
undesireable acoustics (as with windmills & geology/buildings).

#3 Storage Heaters are near parity with gas if 2009 insulation.
That is to say 5p/kWhr isn't a mile off gas at 3.5kWhr when you factor
in a) installation cost b) maintenance c) depreciation. The problem is
storage heater comfort/usability does not have parity with gas re
controllability & on-demand capability.
To get true controllability you need commercial fan storage heaters
which are very large and expensive (£750-1250), these leak very little
heat and instead blow it out on demand. Essentially a fan heater which
just happens to cost 5p/kWhr. Due to their cost they are impractical,
good for shops and offices.

Nuclear will not come online and even if it did the cost will not be
comparable to gas re debt.

A spanner is the potential for future gov't to essentially tax gas
consumed by householders rather than by power generators for "green
reasons", thereby bringing closer parity between gas & electricity.
There is no logical reason for this to happen - except to fund bonkers
windfarms & nuclear plant. It would be a dirty trick negating the
benefit of insulation, alternatively it could be the reason for doing
it "creating money out of nothing", quant-energy as it were.

Overall if you are buying a 2009 build flat, electric heating via say
Dimplex Duoheat storage heaters works supposedly well. They are
cheapish to install, no maintenance, minimal depreciation re long
lifecycle. Storage Heaters also provide objects of high thermal mass,
often missing in "minimalist apartments" when a door is opened. The
benefit of insulation is that it somewhat undermines the "need" to
have the high capital & maintenance & depreciation cost of gas boiler/
radiator system to "force enough kW in at low enough cost".

Vaillant boast their air, ground & gas heating options - it is likely
we move to heat pumps at some stage, however that is going to be "New
Build" no doubt by loony-regulation or loony-subsidy like PhotoVoltaic
panels to meet some "carbon requirement".

Put another way, cheapest is insulation - that way whatever they do it
makes screwing us harder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Al 1953 saying
something like:

I'm wondering whether I should fork out for gas central heating in my new
house. However, I wonder if elctric heating will be cheaper than gas
heating after they build the new nuclear power stations. I think that's
what happened in France, isn't it?

"Too cheap to meter", that rings a bell.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Not likely. Electric is 3x 4x as expensive and that gap will not be
closed for the lifetime of any current type of gas/electric system.

And what effect do you think the introduction of Travelling Wave
Reactors (TWRs) will have on the costs of nuclear electricity
generation? TWRs can be fuelled on depleted uranium with a single charge
lasting 60-100 years, they have higher thermal efficiencies than current
technologies and produce less waste. It's estimated that current
supplies of depleted uranium if used as fuel in TWRs would produce
sufficient electricity for 80% of the world's population to sustain
Western electricity consumption for 1000 years.

Very little CO2 emitted over that 1000 years either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

I'm wondering whether I should fork out for gas central heating in my new
house. However, I wonder if elctric heating will be cheaper than gas
heating after they build the new nuclear power stations. I think that's
what happened in France, isn't it?

I don't have gas, I have domestic oil heating. However, this winter I
have used a small fan heater to heat only those parts of the house I'm
actually using and I reckon it's worked out cheaper than oil.

Consider:

My house is not fitted with a CH thermostat, even though the house was
only built in 2004. Dunno why the builder didn't fit one, since he
wasn't into cutting costs. A thermostat wouldn't have cost a lot
during construction, but there ya go. It's only this winter that it
has been very cold for a long time. In previous very cold winters
heating wasn't so expensive, relatively speaking. Since 2004 the
winter heating bill was only a little higher than normal. I can
remember one winter a couple or three years back when the outside temp
barely got down to zero, it was that mild.

Anyway, back to the non-existent CH thermostat, and instead of this
each radiator is fitted with a Honeywell thermostat, so you can adjust
the temperature of each rad. That does, of course, mean that you have
to constantly monitor the setting, which is a PITA.

Next, when the CH comes on you have to wait some considerable time (20
minutes) before a cold room starts to become warm, whereas a fan
heater is instantaneous. The fan heater does have a thermoswitch, so
it constantly cycles on and off as the desired room temperature is
maintained. Most importantly, only the room I'm using is heated. Okay,
on VERY cold nights I've switched on the CH during the early hours
merely to avoid pipe damage.

I have just paid my winter electricity bill. £218 for 110 days. This
is roughly £100 more than the previous bill which was for 92 days.

BUT.....! How much targeted heating would I have got from a £100's
worth of heating oil over the same 110 day period? £100 would have
bought approx 267 litres of oil back in early December and I don't
think 267 litres would have lasted 110 days! Of course, the price of
oil has since increased (latest price I have 42.27 pence per litre
16/Mar/2010), whereas the electricity went down last year from 12.74
to 11.51 pence a unit.

I may spend up to 8 hours a day in my computer room (although retired,
I dabble in software development), so what's the point of switching
the CH on to heat (even on a low setting) the rest of the house? Sure,
it's a bit nippy taking a dump, but I grew up in houses without any
form of CH, so I can take it! And if it's REALLY cold I'll take the
fan heater with me into the bathroom. We're only talking a few minutes
here, anyway.

Most recently I purchased a small oil-filled radiatior for one room
(Argos £24.99) and it is even better than the fan heater. One should
not leave a fan heater unattended, but it's far safer to leave a room
with one of these oil-filled rads. Now, once the temperature of the
room comes up I can turn down the thermostat on this little radiator
to half or a quarter and it keeps the room quite comfortably warm for
very few pennies per hour.

I do, of course, have a considerable amount of oil left in the tank! I
use the oil boiler mainly for hot water, but that doesn't consume
anything like as much as the CH. I can get a bathful of piping hot
water and do this for days and days without the level on the oil tank
barely dropping. Just heating hot water using oil isn't expensive, I
reckon. It's the CH that whacks up the costs.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Al 1953 wrote:
I'm wondering whether I should fork out for gas central heating in my new
house. However, I wonder if elctric heating will be cheaper than gas
heating after they build the new nuclear power stations. I think that's
what happened in France, isn't it?

Al

electric is about twice as expensive NOW, unless you go 'heat pump'.

Remember lots of it is gas generated anyway, or bought off windmills at
5 times the price.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
Al 1953 wrote:
I'm wondering whether I should fork out for gas central heating in my
new house. However, I wonder if elctric heating will be cheaper than
gas heating after they build the new nuclear power stations. I think
that's what happened in France, isn't it?

It seems unlikely in the short to medium term. Electricity is a
secondary energy source at the moment, and significant new nuke
capacity is going to be some time coming.

--
Cheers,

John.

I'd agree with that. I guess the current nuclear electricity cost must
be similar to combined cycle gas turbine electricity, which gives you
about 60% thermal efficiency.

Its about 1.somethng p per unit, but varies tremendously with the
interest rates, since to an extent, its all in the cost of the money you
borrowed to build the thing.

A complete contrast to a gas set, which is cheap to build but expensive
to run.

But if it's heat you want, using gas direct gives you about 90%.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:

Of course, the price of oil has since increased (latest price I have 42.27
pence per litre 16/Mar/2010), whereas the electricity went down last year
from 12.74 to 11.51 pence a unit.

1 litre of 28 sec. Kerosene = 10 kWH = 43p
10 kWH electricity = 115p

That's an impressive saving you're making there, bub, paying about three
times more to heat your home using electricity than the cost of using CH
oil.

The way that you are making savings is to heat less of your home. You
could reduce your bills further by turning off all the CH rads in the
rooms you don't use and by restricting your CH to the same times that
you use your electric heater.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
wrote:

Not likely. Electric is 3x 4x as expensive and that gap will not be
closed for the lifetime of any current type of gas/electric system.

And what effect do you think the introduction of Travelling Wave
Reactors (TWRs) will have on the costs of nuclear electricity
generation?

Make it more expensive mainly.

Fuel costs are currently so low in a Uranium reactor as to be almost
irrelevant.

Build cots are everythung.

No one has ever built a TWR

TWRs can be fuelled on depleted uranium with a single charge
lasting 60-100 years,

THERTEICALLY.

Theoretically a fusion reactor could use distlled seawater and be even
cheaper. Don't see any about though.

they have higher thermal efficiencies than current
technologies and produce less waste. It's estimated that current
supplies of depleted uranium if used as fuel in TWRs would produce
sufficient electricity for 80% of the world's population to sustain
Western electricity consumption for 1000 years.

Very little CO2 emitted over that 1000 years either.

The figures are even better for fusion, but no one has built a practical
unit yet either.

And with the Losers Party running everything, its unlikely anyone is
educated to a standard to allow them to, either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 15:36:11 -0700, wrote:

However, electrically powered ground/air source heat pumps might
become much more attractive, as they already have a considerable
efficiency advantage over direct heating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSHP.

The initial costs are considerable though, and your site must be
suitable.

I think the running costs are similar:

Similar to what? certainly not to straight electrical heating!

the possible advantage of heat
pumps nationally/strategically is that the electricity they use can in
principle be sourced from non-fossil sources (if such are available)
whereas GCH is of course restricted to fossil-fuel (unless one acquires
renewable source of methane or similar).

Well, quite, although all 'renewable' energy (as opposed to nuclear) is
vastly more expensive (apart from hydro) than fuel burning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Al 1953 wrote on 24/03/2010 :
I'm wondering whether I should fork out for gas central heating in my
new house. However, I wonder if elctric heating will be cheaper than
gas heating after they build the new nuclear power stations. I think
that's what happened in France, isn't it?

You will be looking at a lead time of 10 to 15 years before any new
nuclear stations were to come on line and it will take many of them,
before they make any difference to the methods of generation.

No.

That is wrong. One nuclear power station more would probably out perform
all the installed base of windmills. 30 nuclear power stations would
generate all the current electricity we use. 100 would generate enough
energy to run all the non-electrical stuff off electricity. Including
transport.

And still cost less than we have lent to bail out the banks, or run the NHS.

A typical modern set is several GW. Our peak consumption is 70GW right
now for electricity, or about 300GW total in terms of all energy used by
the nation on shore.

Going all nuclear on current electricity would reduce our onshore carbon
footprint by about 50GW out of that 300GW, or about 16%. More than
enough on its won to meet our CO" reduction targets. Start to use
electricity for things its not cost effective to use it for now, and you
could get to a lot more than that.

Costs will
not come down until their build has been more or less paid for, so I
would stick to gas and invest in good levels of insulation.

Even sillier statement.

A nuclear power station is effectively never paid for until its
decommissioned. What sets its costs are the costs of *borrowing the money*..

Its like a bank. Deposit money into (building) a nuclear power station,
and get a lifetime pension fund from selling its electricity.

The cost is about £3000 per kilowatt capital outlay over 60 years.

Which means that I personally, could e.g. theoretically pay £10,000 to a
nuclear company for all the electricity I will ever need in my life.

A deal which I would instantly take up should it ever be offered.

My investment in a nuclear fund has already made 10% in less than a year.

Although a lot of that is due to the tanking pound.

Its a massively good investment IF the government stops monkeying around
with the rules , especially on decommissioning and waste disposal. There
is no shortage of pension fund and private capital to fund them either.

The FACTS of the matter are that a nuclear set every 18 months IF we
could have started 7 years ago, would be easily enough to see us through.

The actual costs at - say £3000 per kilowatt - with is conservative - to
build 70Gw of capacity is £210 bn. Or about £1000 per head of population.

Bailing out Fred the Shred and his pals has cost twice that, with far
less returns, other than a crippling tax debt we will never escape.

To totally electrify the country is probably £3000 per head. Maybe
£5000. That's assuming electric cars, and the infrastructure to make
them work effectively, etc as well as build nuke sets.

Which would you rather do? spend £5000 on traffic wardens, drop in
Afro-Caribbean lesbian day care centers, Duck islands, Liars for Hire,
affordable homes for thieving pikey *******s, or free electricity and
fuel for the rest of your life?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

#3 Storage Heaters are near parity with gas if 2009 insulation.
That is to say 5p/kWhr isn't a mile off gas at 3.5kWhr when you factor
in a) installation cost b) maintenance c) depreciation. The problem is
storage heater comfort/usability does not have parity with gas re
controllability & on-demand capability.

So far correct, except heatpumps are not noisy.

They are just large fridges, in reverse.

To get true controllability you need commercial fan storage heaters
which are very large and expensive (£750-1250), these leak very little
heat and instead blow it out on demand. Essentially a fan heater which
just happens to cost 5p/kWhr. Due to their cost they are impractical,
good for shops and offices.

Nuclear will not come online and even if it did the cost will not be
comparable to gas re debt.

Its way below gas at around £1.5p /Kwh ex the set itself.

Current build costs are as stated early somewhere between £1000 and
£3000 per Kw installed capacity including decomissioning: At 1% of
capital build costs. fuel and maintenance are peanuts.

That means you have to find ~30p per kilowatt generated *over the
lifetime of the set*.

With NO costs of borrowing, that's 3p a unit over 10 years. Most sets
are built for 25-50 years, and with refurbishment 60-70 is possible.

At 10% interest and 10 year lifespan its still only 6p a unit. That is
as bad as it gets conceivably. More likely is 5% interest and 40 years,
at which level the total cost of the units lifetime assuming the debt is
not paid down (sort of interest only mortgage) is 4.5p a unit.

IIRC the government subsidises to around 10-12p for windpower.

If gas and oil at somewhere in the 3.5-5p/Kwh go up to say 5p-10p, which
is more likely tnan not, nuclear is massively the cheapest way tio get
energy.

A spanner is the potential for future gov't to essentially tax gas
consumed by householders rather than by power generators for "green
reasons", thereby bringing closer parity between gas & electricity.
There is no logical reason for this to happen - except to fund bonkers
windfarms

yes

& nuclear plant.

No.

Governments are not involved in funding nuclear power at all, except in
France.

Nuclear power needs no govt. funding: Its a viable commercial enterprise
IF the decommissioning and waste disposal rules are not suddenly subject
to change and political whim.

The government sold its last remaining interest to EDF when British
Energy was bought out by them.

Put another way, cheapest is insulation - that way whatever they do it
makes screwing us harder.

Certainly as far as domestic heating goes, the best payback starts
there. But once you have that, you run into the law of diminishing returns.

After a lot of calculations, Only one technology - heat pumps - looked
likely to better my fuel bills, And that needed an oil price of 45p
plus to be worth doing.

And £10k investment.

The other possible but equally capital intensive system was heat
recovery ventilation.

Forget solar panels, or domestic windmills. Complete waste off money.

Put the money in a nuclear fund, you will get more ROI from that!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Al 1953 saying
something like:

I'm wondering whether I should fork out for gas central heating in my new
house. However, I wonder if elctric heating will be cheaper than gas
heating after they build the new nuclear power stations. I think that's
what happened in France, isn't it?

"Too cheap to meter", that rings a bell.

never took capital costs into account: That was political spin anyway.

No, I believe that in France, if you are within 20 miles of a nuclear
power station, and a lot of people are, you get free electricity or very
cheap electricity. This changes local peoples perceptions dramatically
when it comes to planning permission....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm wondering whether I should fork out for gas central heating in my new
house. However, I wonder if elctric heating will be cheaper than gas
heating after they build the new nuclear power stations. I think that's
what happened in France, isn't it?

I don't have gas, I have domestic oil heating. However, this winter I
have used a small fan heater to heat only those parts of the house I'm
actually using and I reckon it's worked out cheaper than oil.

It can be. I tend to do similar. Not heat the whole house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 02:19:17 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember Al 1953 saying
something like:

I'm wondering whether I should fork out for gas central heating in my new
house. However, I wonder if elctric heating will be cheaper than gas
heating after they build the new nuclear power stations. I think that's
what happened in France, isn't it?

"Too cheap to meter", that rings a bell.

When they got past that particular barefaced lie, there was a
publicity drive stating that the prices of electricity generated from
nuclear, coal and oil were in the ratio 1:2:3.

But that was also a barefaced lie, as nuclear power in the UK has
always cost more per kWh than electricity produced commercially from
any fossil fuel.

"Peak uranium" is not far behind "peak oil", which is going to happen
within the next decade. The rush to nuclear power, the result of a
desire to lower CO2 emissions, will bring peak uranium ever closer.
Uranium prices will rocket and finding secure supplies will become
ever more difficult.

I wonder what the next "quick fix" will be after nuclear power? Tidal
power, more wind power, perhaps, but these systems don't generate
power reliably when you need them. Clean coal? The first UK clean
coal station has just been denied planning permission on the basis of
a detailed report that showed the technology did not have a cat's
chance in hell of doing what was claimed for it. Biomass? The
proposed biomass power station on Anglesey would need most of its fuel
to be imported over long distances by sea, adding CO2 emissions.

So it looks like nuclear fusion will be needed to save the day. But
it's 20-30 years away. Funnily enough, they said the same 20-30 years
ago. But 20-30 years on, it is still 20-30 years away.

Must keep trying. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 07:27:42 +0000, Steve Firth wrote:

Of course, the price of oil has since increased (latest price I

have
42.27 pence per litre 16/Mar/2010), whereas the electricity went

down
last year from 12.74 to 11.51 pence a unit.

1 litre of 28 sec. Kerosene = 10 kWH = 43p
10 kWH electricity = 115p

That's an impressive saving you're making there, bub, paying about three
times more to heat your home using electricity than the cost of using CH
oil.

But the he isn't heating the whole house. If you don't heat it you
don't spend any money on fuel for space heating, which is the biggest
consumer of energy.

I'd also say that the OP ought to shop around for his electricity 11
to 12p/unit is expensive, I'm paying 9.03p/unit.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher
wibbled on Thursday 25 March 2010 08:08

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Al 1953 wrote on 24/03/2010 :
I'm wondering whether I should fork out for gas central heating in my
new house. However, I wonder if elctric heating will be cheaper than
gas heating after they build the new nuclear power stations. I think
that's what happened in France, isn't it?

You will be looking at a lead time of 10 to 15 years before any new
nuclear stations were to come on line and it will take many of them,
before they make any difference to the methods of generation.

No.

That is wrong. One nuclear power station more would probably out perform
all the installed base of windmills. 30 nuclear power stations would
generate all the current electricity we use. 100 would generate enough
energy to run all the non-electrical stuff off electricity. Including
transport.

Not forgetting the infrastructure upgrades though...

The cost is about £3000 per kilowatt capital outlay over 60 years.

Which means that I personally, could e.g. theoretically pay £10,000 to a
nuclear company for all the electricity I will ever need in my life.
A deal which I would instantly take up should it ever be offered.

I would too.

To totally electrify the country is probably £3000 per head. Maybe
£5000. That's assuming electric cars, and the infrastructure to make
them work effectively, etc as well as build nuke sets.

Which would you rather do? spend £5000 on traffic wardens, drop in
Afro-Caribbean lesbian day care centers, Duck islands, Liars for Hire,
affordable homes for thieving pikey *******s, or free electricity and
fuel for the rest of your life?

Not forgetting that our gross national external debt (public and private) is
now around 9x10^12 US dollars (Wikipedia) second only to the USA in absolute
value and the worst per capita ($150k). What's another few thousand each to
sort out two massive looming problems (energy and CO2)...

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher
wibbled on Thursday 25 March 2010 08:36

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Al 1953 saying
something like:

I'm wondering whether I should fork out for gas central heating in my
new house. However, I wonder if elctric heating will be cheaper than gas
heating after they build the new nuclear power stations. I think that's
what happened in France, isn't it?

"Too cheap to meter", that rings a bell.

never took capital costs into account: That was political spin anyway.

No, I believe that in France, if you are within 20 miles of a nuclear
power station, and a lot of people are, you get free electricity or very
cheap electricity. This changes local peoples perceptions dramatically
when it comes to planning permission....

Probably would here. Possibly to the extent that the locals would go and
sort out the hippie protesters, saving the police the job.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm wondering whether I should fork out for gas central heating in
my new house. However, I wonder if elctric heating will be cheaper
than gas heating after they build the new nuclear power stations. I
think that's what happened in France, isn't it?

I don't have gas, I have domestic oil heating. However, this winter I
have used a small fan heater to heat only those parts of the house
I'm actually using and I reckon it's worked out cheaper than oil.

It can be. I tend to do similar. Not heat the whole house.

Perhaps we should invest in more zoning valves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 07:27:42 +0000, Steve Firth wrote:

Of course, the price of oil has since increased (latest price I

have
42.27 pence per litre 16/Mar/2010), whereas the electricity went

down
last year from 12.74 to 11.51 pence a unit.

1 litre of 28 sec. Kerosene = 10 kWH = 43p
10 kWH electricity = 115p

That's an impressive saving you're making there, bub, paying about three
times more to heat your home using electricity than the cost of using CH
oil.

But the he isn't heating the whole house. If you don't heat it you
don't spend any money on fuel for space heating, which is the biggest
consumer of energy.

yes. The point is that this may be more cost effective than embarking on
micro control of every room.

I'd also say that the OP ought to shop around for his electricity 11
to 12p/unit is expensive, I'm paying 9.03p/unit.

Very hard to find anwyeher that exactly suits your usage pattern and
gives you a good deal.

I tried one of those online calculators and it showed that I couldnt do
much better than 10.snmething p for my actual total usage across any
supplier.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Al 1953 wrote on 24/03/2010 :
I'm wondering whether I should fork out for gas central heating in my
new house. However, I wonder if elctric heating will be cheaper than
gas heating after they build the new nuclear power stations. I think
that's what happened in France, isn't it?
You will be looking at a lead time of 10 to 15 years before any new
nuclear stations were to come on line and it will take many of them,
before they make any difference to the methods of generation.

No.

That is wrong. One nuclear power station more would probably out perform
all the installed base of windmills. 30 nuclear power stations would
generate all the current electricity we use. 100 would generate enough
energy to run all the non-electrical stuff off electricity. Including
transport.

Not forgetting the infrastructure upgrades though...

No. Thats why I quoted £3000 a KW rather than the base cost which is
more like £2000 a Kw for actual real life standard nuclear stations
these days.

Wind is far worse, because you have to size for peak loads three times
higher than the average, due to their lousy load factors. And by
definition they are always sited away from population centres that use
the power.

[...]

Straw, camels back..

But like I said, the government doesn't need to fund this: ALL they have
to do is allow planning and whatever sweeteners are required for people
who live near them, and sign a binding contract on decommissioning, so
the costs are fixed in advance, and let private finance do what it does
best. Take a long term medium risk medium return gamble.

Oh, and stop subsidised windmills, and tax carbon fuels no matter what
they are used for.

It was the government's involvement in nuclear power in the first place
that lead to things like Windscale.

Keep the *******s out. They can **** anything up.

If the true environmental cost of burning fossil fuels means its 15p a
Kwh, charge it, and use the money to set up a fund to deal wit the
damage. Of course they'd steal it to pay back the debts owed to the
sovereign gilt holders ..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Al 1953 saying
something like:

I'm wondering whether I should fork out for gas central heating in my
new house. However, I wonder if elctric heating will be cheaper than gas
heating after they build the new nuclear power stations. I think that's
what happened in France, isn't it?
"Too cheap to meter", that rings a bell.

never took capital costs into account: That was political spin anyway.

No, I believe that in France, if you are within 20 miles of a nuclear
power station, and a lot of people are, you get free electricity or very
cheap electricity. This changes local peoples perceptions dramatically
when it comes to planning permission....

Probably would here. Possibly to the extent that the locals would go and
sort out the hippie protesters, saving the police the job.

WE occasionally swim a couple of miles up from Sizewell B. My wife
reports the water is perceptibly warmer..

I tend to not swim in water below 20C, so I'll take that on trust.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm wondering whether I should fork out for gas central heating in
my new house. However, I wonder if elctric heating will be cheaper
than gas heating after they build the new nuclear power stations. I
think that's what happened in France, isn't it?
I don't have gas, I have domestic oil heating. However, this winter I
have used a small fan heater to heat only those parts of the house
I'm actually using and I reckon it's worked out cheaper than oil.

It can be. I tend to do similar. Not heat the whole house.

Perhaps we should invest in more zoning valves.

If it didn't mean ripping half the plumbing apart..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Al 1953" wrote in message
I'm wondering whether I should fork out for gas central heating in my new
house. However, I wonder if elctric heating will be cheaper than gas
heating after they build the new nuclear power stations. I think that's
what happened in France, isn't it?

Al

I would doubt this .... if HM gov comes out with plentiful energy, they will
see it as easy way to tax.

If you want an efficient way ... there are 2 options worth looking at :

#1 Home combined Heat & Power plant, these are now small and very efficient
.... you are still on mains electricity .. but you sell back any spare
capacity.

#2 Heat pump if you can plumb in plenty of underground piping ... air-air
pumps are not efficient enough.

There are many other options ... but they are particularly worth review.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 02:19:17 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember Al 1953 saying
something like:

I'm wondering whether I should fork out for gas central heating in my new
house. However, I wonder if elctric heating will be cheaper than gas
heating after they build the new nuclear power stations. I think that's
what happened in France, isn't it?

"Too cheap to meter", that rings a bell.

When they got past that particular barefaced lie, there was a
publicity drive stating that the prices of electricity generated from
nuclear, coal and oil were in the ratio 1:2:3.

But that was also a barefaced lie, as nuclear power in the UK has
always cost more per kWh than electricity produced commercially from
any fossil fuel.

It doesnt now.

"Peak uranium" is not far behind "peak oil", which is going to happen
within the next decade. The rush to nuclear power, the result of a
desire to lower CO2 emissions, will bring peak uranium ever closer.
Uranium prices will rocket and finding secure supplies will become
ever more difficult.

Utter ********. Ther is certainly enough urnaium for 50 years, and fasty
brerders and other technologies can make a lot more fissionable material
IF THE PRICE IS HIGH ENOUGH. Currently the cost of fuel is about 0.1p
per kilowatt hour. When you look at the potential uranium reserves at
say 10 times the price that it costs now - still only 1p per kilowatt
hour - the resources are MASSIVE.

Peak oil has a natural cutoff, in that if it takes more energy to get it
out than it produces , its really totally useless.

But that sort of figure, with uranium, is never reached. Its energy
effective to filter it out of seawater. Its very EXPENSIVE, but not as
expensive as oil at say $300 a barrel is.

Uranium exploration and mining is almost nil at the moment. A few rich
and easily exploitable resources are in play, but no one has gone
looking for more, or developed extraction for it, because its too cheap
to be worth it.

I wonder what the next "quick fix" will be after nuclear power? Tidal
power, more wind power, perhaps, but these systems don't generate
power reliably when you need them. Clean coal? The first UK clean
coal station has just been denied planning permission on the basis of
a detailed report that showed the technology did not have a cat's
chance in hell of doing what was claimed for it. Biomass? The
proposed biomass power station on Anglesey would need most of its fuel
to be imported over long distances by sea, adding CO2 emissions.

Fusion power and second generation reactors. There are at least 5
potentially far better fission technologies out there, that have never
been researched or developed because the cash wasn't there to do it.
And the Greens managed to lobby hard to get them kicked in the balls.

The fact is that we cant with any current technology, except in a very
few instances, run an industrial society on renewable resources. WE have
to exploit the energy density of atomic reactions. Period.

If one tenth te effort going into trying to make windmills work, went
into new reactor development, we wouldnt be in the mess we are.

So it looks like nuclear fusion will be needed to save the day. But
it's 20-30 years away. Funnily enough, they said the same 20-30 years
ago. But 20-30 years on, it is still 20-30 years away.

Must keep trying. ;-)

OTOH fission is here now and able to do the job.

Fusion has, finally shown energy positive reactions. Its taken a hell of
a lot of mathematics to get that far, but its progress. At least another
50 years is my guess, BUT there are so many far cleaner and safer ways
to do fission with almost any reasonable staring material, that it seems
that will be the way forward.

That takes energy off the map as far as a major problem is concerned,
leaving more basic things like food an water to become real issues And
general overpopulation.

#1 Home combined Heat & Power plant, these are now small and very
efficient ... you are still on mains electricity .. but you sell back
any spare capacity.

Thats not much more than a diesel genny making electricity, and
channeling the exhaust through a heat exchanger..:-)

#2 Heat pump if you can plumb in plenty of underground piping ...
air-air pumps are not efficient enough.

They are better than nothing tho.

If I was doing another new build, I would definitely go GSHP for central
heating and hot water plus solid/liquid/gas fuel backup. Its not good
to rely totally on electricity these days.

There are many other options ... but they are particularly worth review.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 21:37:38 +0000, Al 1953 wrote:
I'm wondering whether I should fork out for gas central heating in my
new house. However, I wonder if elctric heating will be cheaper than gas
heating after they build the new nuclear power stations. I think that's
what happened in France, isn't it?

might end up that way. Electric heating is slightly cheaper than gas
where I am in the US, but only because the 'leccy heating only runs
during off-peak hours, not continously (which is fine if you have a well-
insulated house, but not so much if you live in a giant air leak like we
do

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 11:54:02 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Utter ********.

Your speciality.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 15:36:11 -0700, wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSHP.

The initial costs are considerable though

Where are the costs, though? The way I understand it, it's mostly in the
labour involved in installing the ground loops - which, given the nature
of this group, *could* be handled by the home owner.

Problems I have he

1) Knowledge Commercial installers seem to have the market pretty well
sewn up, and there's comparatively little design knowledge in the public
domain,

2) My 'leccy company gives a huge discount for having a GSHP, but only if
it's a commercial system fitted by 'professional' installers,

3) I can get tax breaks for a GSHP, but hit the same problem as in 2
above.

as time goes on that'll hopefully change - design books will appear,
parts will be available off the shelf etc.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 11:54:02 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

"Peak uranium" is not far behind "peak oil", which is going to happen
within the next decade. The rush to nuclear power, the result of a
desire to lower CO2 emissions, will bring peak uranium ever closer.
Uranium prices will rocket and finding secure supplies will become
ever more difficult.

Utter ********. Ther is certainly enough urnaium for 50 years, and fasty
brerders and other technologies can make a lot more fissionable material
IF THE PRICE IS HIGH ENOUGH. Currently the cost of fuel is about 0.1p
per kilowatt hour. When you look at the potential uranium reserves at
say 10 times the price that it costs now - still only 1p per kilowatt
hour - the resources are MASSIVE.

To avoid Uranium, cut the lead time, remove problems re. proliferation etc.
and have the reactors close to popuations, Thorium looks promising.

http://www.thorium.tv/en/thorium_rea..._reactor_1.php

http://peswiki.com/index.php/PowerPe...orium_Reactors
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps we should invest in more zoning valves.

If it didn't mean ripping half the plumbing apart..

Perhaps there may be market for a retrofit system comprising
wireless programmable roomstats and associated radiator valves
(interchangeable with existing), together with a central unit
triggering the boiler if there is demand anywhere.

Can't see it as a quick payback though.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 21:37:38 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be Al 1953
wrote this:-

I'm wondering whether I should fork out for gas central heating in my new
house.

What heating is in it at the moment? The best choices depend on what
is there already.

There is something to be said for a mini CHP installation burning
gas to produce electricity as well as hot water. However, if going
for that the heating system needs to be designed for it, not a bog
standard system installed by a plumber. Assuming a Stirling engine
the key is to ensure the unit runs for long periods, with long off
periods between, to maximise electricity generation. At least one of
the manufacturers recommends a thermal store.

However, I wonder if elctric heating will be cheaper than gas
heating after they build the new nuclear power stations. I think that's
what happened in France, isn't it?

Electricity in southern Scotland used to be relatively cheap. The
price was put up to pay for Torness and it is still high. Until the
court case several years ago Scottish Power and Scottish Hydro
Electric were forced to take all the electricity Hunterston B and
Torness managed to produce under the "Nuclear Energy Agreement",
whether they wanted it or not. The Tories claimed to be in favour of
the free market, but not where nuclear was concerned.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54