Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Design for my garage shop

On 3/24/2010 12:35 PM, Bill wrote:
wrote in message
On 3/24/2010 4:21 AM, Bill wrote:
Mike M.

Here's a link to some pics of the "Two Meter Problem".
BTW, Neighbor has his own meter at his house.

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

This appears to be some kind of cable or telephone equipment box, on it's
own meter, a not uncommon piece of equipment, and a perfectly legitimate
installation.

Can anyone suggest, then, why the conduit from the box might possibly have a
reason lead into the back
of the "transformer" above? If so, I'll try to put this one to rest! : )

It may just look that way from the ground. However, you can indeed feed
a transformer on the pole both ways ... see below.

I kind of doubt that is what is happening here, but you never know.

BTW, does the "transformer" convert XXXv to 240v or something like that that
I can (sort of) understand?

It is a step down transformer, and it takes the high voltage of the
overhead transmission lines (likely 12,000v in most USA locales) and
steps it down to the 120v feeding your house's main service panel.

The step down/up ratio depends upon the number of windings in the
transformer.

That same transformer can also work in the opposite direction ... it can
be fed 120v and put 12,000 volt back in the transmission line.

This is the major reason why, when feeding a house panel from a backup
generator during a power outage, that a cut off is required. Otherwise
you could be putting 12000 volts into a down line while someone is
trying to fix it ... something the electric company frowns on.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08