Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default O/T: Major Sea Changes

Han wrote:

Me, I'm FOR a public option (option, not compulsion), and FOR using
insurance to guarantee a woman's right to use abortion. I'm not in
favor of abortion other than as a last resort. I'm also in favor of
teaching birth control to kids.

There are many good arguments on both sides of the abortion issue.
Heart-felt, logical, and compelling.

After studying all the positions, I come down on the side of abortion on
demand for one little-mentioned effect: it reduces the number of liberals
amongst us. The progressives eat their seed-corn (figuratively, of course).

In 1982, it was estimated there were 50,000 abortions in Florida. Had these
abortions not taken place, these kids would have grown and would have been
of voting age in the year 2000.

Some would have died, some moved away, some institutionalized (i.e., jail).
Some would have come to Jesus and some would have rebelled against their
parents. A huge number would not have voted in the 2000 elections. Still,
even after all that, there were probably 10,000 votes that Al Gore did not
get.

Bush won Florida, and the election, by 500-odd votes.

A more scholarly discussion can be found under "Roe Effect."