Mike G

Default WORKING TIPS FOR NEW WOODWORKERS 1

"Expert Woodworker" wrote in message
.95.

Say what you will. I was only trying to be helpful to beginners on a

budget
based on a recent purchase that I was unexpectedly satisfied with.

All right, say you are given the benefit of the doubt, which is unlikely to
happen now, To pick just one item of your list of the ridiculous, how would
you justify recommending a 5 pound, 1/2" chuck, hammer drill as a suitable
tool for a newbie. In the week or two I've been woodworking I can count on
the fingers of one hand the number of times I needed a half inch chuck. I
have never ever needed a hammer drill, nor would I want to be horsing around
one that weighed five pounds while I was trying put in some pocket screws.
True it sure would sink them home and then some but having the screws
sticking out of the other side of the boards isn't all that pretty. I'd have
to check to be sure of the price but I believe that the HF catalog has 12 V
cordless drills at a comparable price and they have clutches in them too
boot which is sufficient for a beginner on a budget and far more practical.

I'll give you a break and not even ask about the pneumatic screwdriver.

--
Mike G.

Heirloom Woods
www.heirloom-woods.net
Dan wrote in
:

On Sat 20 Dec 2003 10:52:02a, "Swingman" wrote in
:

The shiny lure, accurately cast, barely caused a ripple as it
'plonked' into the placid waters of the old wRec ....

Yeah, I was wandering through this thread and it came to me: "If you
do just a little research first, and really sit down and THINK about
the best way to troll a group you can really come up with a winner."

Dan