Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Design for my garage shop

Can the transformer be driving lights on the power poles ? Street lights ?
Just a thought.

I'd have the power company come out.

Martin

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:

There's a meter on the back of the house (behind the main panel) and
another one on a pole 40 ft from the house. Below the meter on the
pole is a small box (15A), attached by conduit, to the bottom of the
meter--no more than a 3/8" gap betweeen them.
A much longer piece of conduit (3/4"-1" in diameter) comes out of the
bottom of the side of the box and goes up into the back of the
"transformer".

A meter pole would often have a disconnect connected to the meter, at
the pole. This was/is common in trailer hookups. I'm not sure about
the (15A) statement you make. What do you mean by (15A)?

Sorry, all I mean by 15A is that the small (6"x6") box attached directly
below the meter on the pole has a single C'breaker inside marked 15A.
I've been describing it so much, I got sloppy.

It strkes me as odd that
that there would be a 15 Amp disconnect directly off a meter. The
conduit going back to the transformer could just have a ground running
in it.

I think it's possible that my shut off in inside that 2'x2'x2.5' box
I mentioned earlier, it's unlocked and would be easily reachable with
a ladder. Another conceivable place is inside my meter's box--which
has a special clip on it.

Unless you have a disconnect installed after your meter, you have no
disconnect. Disconnects are common for meter poles, and but they are
not necessary for a standard residential hookup. Your disconnect (in
normal circumstances) is the main breaker in your panel. The meter
head serves as the disconnect for most home wiring.

Thank you for this information. Just curious, would I be likely to see a
C'breaker inside the 2'x2'x2.5' humming steel box with a number
coinciding with the "service number" on my meter? Although this box
wouldn't be reachable without a short ladder, it's latch is not locked.

Those of you who have been following this thread may find another true
story amusing: About 2 dozen years back when I worked on Fort Sill, OK
(home of the "Field Artillery School"), I was walking between buildings
as I did everyday and I picked up a small thing on the ground that
looked like a condenser (from a lawnmower), and it had 2 metal wires
coming from it. I gave it a close exam realized it wasn't a condenser
and untwisted the two wires (for saftety) and put it in my pocket and
went about my work for the morning. When I got back to my office, I
called the ordinant office and they came to visit me with "shields",
facemasks, gloves, a great big can...geeze...I told them I carried it
around it my pocket all morning--I wasn't skeered! It was sitting on my
desk and I told them I wold be happy to pick it up for them! It was a
"practice blast" used for simulating real blasts in the field, for
training. They told me not to pick up anything else I found! ; )

Bill