Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What steel for pry bars?

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Steve W. wrote:
... Have you tried a GOOD cats paw?

All the cat's paws I have access to are much too crude/blunt/thick. But
your post's inspired me to try making one.

OK - I did make one. I took an old 1/4" wood chisel & ground away the
part that wasn't a cat's paw. Very sharp edge.

No good. The problem is that the tin is only 30 ga (.012) and when
nailed up, the nail dimples the tin very slightly. The nail is actually
countersunk a bit - just enough to make getting under the nail very
difficult. Damaging the tin more than desirable.

Getting a pry bar behind the tin is really the way to go.

Thanks,
Bob