Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Throw away woodworking tip

On 3/23/2010 11:08 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
I had always seen them used for joining face frames and boxes. and
stuff like that. Using them across the joint of a panel was new to
me.

My proof points that it is somewhat uncommon a

- All of the accessories Kreg sells are vice grips for holding down
face frame type joints, etc.
- The Kreg little hand held drill guides have two or three paired
holes, great for face frame sticks. But no big wide jig with a few far
spaced holes that would be good for a panel.
- I just fast forwarded through the "Joinery 101" video on the Kreg
site and the closest thing they show to a panel joint is a stave type
glue up with beveled edges (near end of video). They never show a true
flat panel.

As I said, this is a throw away tip. If it's not useful or
insightful...

It's a good tip - and to add a bit of illustration, may I present a
photo of my (45-minute design/construction time) main shop bench - built
from 2-1/2 2x12x144 and a 2x4x120?

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Misc/Vise640x480.jpg

All done with my (then) brand-new Kreg Jig...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar