Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default The Towers bedroom project, Completed!

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 10:12:18 -0500, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 14:50:16 -0500, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

On 3/21/2010 2:06 PM, Han wrote:

I seem to already have the plugin, but I had to upgrade and reactivate
Cutlist. Now I have version 2006.6.5

Mine's 2009.5.11

Two of my most useful woodworking tools ... hardly ever go into the shop
these days without SU drawings of what I'm going to do, and a CutList
Plus parts list and layout diagrams for cutting.

Holy ****, Batman! I just went to the CutlistPlus.com site and saw
the prices. For only $500, you can have a program tell you how to cut
a freakin' sheet of plywood? Or only $250 for a lesser program? And
$90 for the rock-bottom software? How do they get that? (Cutlist
used to be free.) I guess it helps to be working with tons of ply
daily.

I have been using CLP for quite a while IIRC 10+ years and do not ever
recall the program being free with the exception of a very limited
evaluation version.

I did say "Cutlist" rather than "Plus", Leon.

That you did. BUT! Cutlist is still free. Cutlist, is not the same
program as Cutlist Plus. I have been using Cutlist Plus for about 10+
years, I only recently discovered Cutlist, the plugin.

$500 gets you much more than a program that shows you
how to cut a sheet of plywood. To name a few perks the program provides,
it
will track and releive your inventory of materials and produce several
reports with information concerning cost, mark up, tax, etc.

I figured that it did, but I wanted to be ironic.

How do they charge those prices? On my Tower Bed Room project alone I
probably saved 3~4 days of planning on lay out of materials out of my
particular inventory of materials and their odd sizes. That alone paid
for
the program.

Very cool! But then, how many people build bedroom sets which will
seat 32,146 at a time?

I suspect that if you have the capability you may very well build the larger
projects. I have built many large projects in the past, several kitchens,
however not that many large projects that I was not being paid for. The
bedroom project took little of my time in planing and optimizing with both
Cutlist.* programs and Sketchup.
Lets just say with the combination of the 3 programs listed above there is
organization and order, and much less intimidation to actually do the
project. Most of us remark that we would like to build something of a
certain magnitude if we only had the courage.

Then consider the reduction of wase in materials when a
project like my Towers Bedroom project which had probably 50 different
sizes
of parts totaling in excess of 300 pieces on the towers alone.

Which version do you have, Leon?

I use Cutlist 4.0 as the Sketchup plugin and I am vurrently using Cutlist
Plus Gold Edition 2009.5.5

True, there are not many extra perks to the higher priced versions for the
common hibbiest other than the ability to use more part pieces and sizes.

Vas ist das "hibbiest", mein herr? Oh, you meant "hobbyist", dincha?

Yeah. uh huh.

It can be a real bummer to need to enter 4 or 5 extra parts once you have
hit a particular program versions limit.

Yeah, I think I did that once and came unglued over it.

Yup! a reeeeeel ****er. ;~)

Can't afford surprises with the operating margins these days and CLP has
paid for itself many times over in that regard.

Grok that. But if margins are that low, shouldn't you be trying to
get more custom work, Swingy? Hang out on the corner of McMansion and
Main with a sign "Will Do Custom Cabinetry for Food" sign, eh?

Can't do that in West U. ;~) It would be frowned upon.

Yabbut, it was a fun thought, eh? I got this email eons ago:

;!)