Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Phil Kangas[_3_] Phil Kangas[_3_] is offline

Default Bit OT, who's doing street view mapping besides Google?

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
I was in Pacific Grove just south of Monterey on Friday.
Stayed in a hotel right on the beach just yards from Lovers
Point. Was walking out to the point with daughter and
niece, and as we're crossing the street, a car (Prius I
think) comes around the corner with this rather large
appendage on the roof. There was a rotating doo-hicky
comprised of trapezoid shaped facets of glass angled up and
down somewhere between 5-10 degrees. I was just pointing at
it and commenting "What the hell is THAT?" when it hits me,
it's the Google camera car!

So when I get home Sunday, I pull up that corner on Google
street view, though I didn't really expect to find it
updated that fast. Then I note the Google copyright notice
dated 2009. I sorta doubted they'd be reshooting that area
so soon so searched for images of Google camera cars. What
I saw not only looks nothing like any pictures I found of
Google camera cars, but I couldn't find ANY pictures of
the rig I saw.

Anyone know who else might be running around doing street
view imaging?
Bing is supposed to be working on something to compete,
but I read they will use user submitted photos. So I'm
left wondering who was taking the pics.

Jon

Is www.vpike.com a part of google? phil