Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bit OT, who's doing street view mapping besides Google?

I was in Pacific Grove just south of Monterey on Friday. Stayed in a
hotel right on the beach just yards from Lovers Point. Was walking out
to the point with daughter and niece, and as we're crossing the street,
a car (Prius I think) comes around the corner with this rather large
appendage on the roof. There was a rotating doo-hicky comprised of
trapezoid shaped facets of glass angled up and down somewhere between
5-10 degrees. I was just pointing at it and commenting "What the hell is
THAT?" when it hits me, it's the Google camera car!

So when I get home Sunday, I pull up that corner on Google street view,
though I didn't really expect to find it updated that fast. Then I note
the Google copyright notice dated 2009. I sorta doubted they'd be
reshooting that area so soon so searched for images of Google camera
cars. What I saw not only looks nothing like any pictures I found of
Google camera cars, but I couldn't find ANY pictures of the rig I saw.

Anyone know who else might be running around doing street view imaging?
Bing is supposed to be working on something to compete, but I read they
will use user submitted photos. So I'm left wondering who was taking the
pics.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:
[...]

Probably still Google. They have been doing follow-up and correction
runs. Also they take about 2 years to get the images cleaned up and any
editing done.
In my area I sent them at least 5 problem areas where the images they
had were wrong for the location listed.
Plus they add in streets that they didn't hit in the first trip as well
as if a locality asks they will come and do a more thorough run.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
[...]

i wonder if it's the "great cull" crew doing a survey.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Is www.vpike.com a part of google? phil

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Did you ask the driver if he'd recently had a heart
operation?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"William Wixon" wrote in message

i wonder if it's the "great cull" crew doing a survey.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Phil Kangas wrote:

Is www.vpike.com a part of google? phil

Looks to me like they've just hooked into Google Maps, with banner ads
for income.

jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:

Probably still Google. They have been doing follow-up and correction
runs. Also they take about 2 years to get the images cleaned up and any
editing done.

Maybe they have new cameras, but the rig I saw sits a -lot- lower than
any of the Google cameras I saw. And when I searched on 'Google camera
car' images, I went 20 pages deep and saw nothing like what I saw.
Maybe I'll just ask Google directly and see if they can confirm/deny if
it's their rig.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message Phil Kangas wrote:

Is www.vpike.com a part of google? phil

Looks to me like they've just hooked into Google Maps,
with banner ads for income.

jon

It looks like they came through this part of Houghton County
Mich.
in Aug or Sep of '08. Pretty neat....;))

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:
Steve W. wrote:

Probably still Google. They have been doing follow-up and correction
runs. Also they take about 2 years to get the images cleaned up and any
editing done.

Maybe they have new cameras, but the rig I saw sits a -lot- lower than
any of the Google cameras I saw. And when I searched on 'Google camera
car' images, I went 20 pages deep and saw nothing like what I saw.
Maybe I'll just ask Google directly and see if they can confirm/deny if
it's their rig.

Were there black helicopters in the vicinity?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 00:27:29 -0500, "William Wixon"
wrote:

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message

Anyone know who else might be running around doing street view imaging?

i wonder if it's the "great cull" crew doing a survey.

b.w.

I doubt that any of that crowd have enough energy or assets to be out
burning gas reconnoitering. They're too busy gumming us to death with
hilariously empty threats, much like this group
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P2jJ...eature=related.

Wayne

Google Street View Arthur 51 UK diy 5 April 13th 09 07:07 AM
Google Street View Bob Martin UK diy 1 March 28th 09 06:10 PM
Google Street View ARWadsworth UK diy 1 March 28th 09 06:04 PM
Google Street View Bob Martin UK diy 0 March 27th 09 08:33 AM