Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default Why do razor blades get dull so fast?

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article , (dan)
wrote:

What's that Lassie? You say that
fell down the
old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a
rescue by Mon, 22 Mar 2010 11:14:32 -0700 (PDT):

Is there some abrasive in my beard?
Is the water corroding the edge?

I've heard that if you dry them after use they last longer. I shake
out my mach3 and prop it on edge. Seems to last longer.

I find this to be true.

I wash the blade out with hot water, dry it by smacking against the heel of my
palm, and store blades up, so water will pull away from the vulnerable edge.
This greatly extends the lifetime of the razor, which implies that corrosion of
the edge is the key issue.

As for Gillette, I suspect that they are herding their users. Each year, the
blades get a little worse - they are cutting costs and performance by omitting
steps one by one, to convince you to move to the latest and greatest.

Joe Gwinn

I gave my double edged hande to a girlfriend who (was smarter than me?)
wanted it.

And found they can't be bought any more.

Anybody got a spare???

--

Richard Lamb