Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon William Wixon is offline

Default Bit OT, who's doing street view mapping besides Google?

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
I was in Pacific Grove just south of Monterey on Friday. Stayed in a hotel
right on the beach just yards from Lovers Point. Was walking out to the
point with daughter and niece, and as we're crossing the street, a car
(Prius I think) comes around the corner with this rather large appendage on
the roof. There was a rotating doo-hicky comprised of trapezoid shaped
facets of glass angled up and down somewhere between 5-10 degrees. I was
just pointing at it and commenting "What the hell is THAT?" when it hits
me, it's the Google camera car!

So when I get home Sunday, I pull up that corner on Google street view,
though I didn't really expect to find it updated that fast. Then I note
the Google copyright notice dated 2009. I sorta doubted they'd be
reshooting that area so soon so searched for images of Google camera cars.
What I saw not only looks nothing like any pictures I found of Google
camera cars, but I couldn't find ANY pictures of the rig I saw.

Anyone know who else might be running around doing street view imaging?
Bing is supposed to be working on something to compete, but I read they
will use user submitted photos. So I'm left wondering who was taking the
pics.

Jon

i wonder if it's the "great cull" crew doing a survey.

b.w.