Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Why do razor blades get dull so fast?

Steve Lusardi wrote:

If you use those shaving creams/foams/gels, they also help to erode the
blade edge. It is very advantageous for the manufacturer of the blades
to have a short life. Try using normal bar soap. It lubricates much
better and will double blade life.

A proper shaving cream or soap will FAR outperform anything I've ever
used from a can. As previously noted, I've gone retro and just started
shaving with DE razors. Got some Proraso and a badger bristle shaving
brush. GOOD stuff. Was just in Santa Cruz for a couple days, and used
the Proraso, but brought cartridge razors for convenience. I'll say that
the twin blade Sensor Excel gave a far better shave with the Proraso
than I ever got with any other foam or gel. And I've tried bar soap too.

And while I'm commenting, let me rant on the Save-a-Blade. Actually
that's what got me into DE shaving. Wasn't going to pay $19.95 for one,
but saw one at a discount outlet for $5 and thought I'd give it a try.
Mentioned buying it to my Aussie wife and she asked me to get several
more as they were just introduced to Oz via TV and cost a bloody
fortune. Discount store was out, so looked for them on Amazon and upon
reading the reviews, learned few people have any luck with them. One
review in particular touted the overall low cost of DE shaving, and
that's what got me going in that direction, being a part-time
cheapskate.... Anyway, I looked into the Save-a-Blade I'd bought. First
attempts showed zero contact with the blade when inspecting with a
microscope. But hadn't read the directions, and had the blade in the
wrong position. Tried again, and found contact from the sandpaper along
maybe 10% of the cutting edge of one blade after a good 10 second run.
My reviews can be found on Amazon if you look up the Save-a-Blade. Piece
of crap IMHO, though some reviewers do rave about it. Go figure...

Jon