Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus7894 Ignoramus7894 is offline

Default Why do razor blades get dull so fast?

On 2010-03-23, Jon Anderson wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:

Anyone old enough to remember blue blades knows that they've made a lot of
progress in the years since. They were made of very high-carbon steel,
hardened to within an inch of its life, and it was rare to get more than two
shaves out of a double-edged blade.

I've just turned to DE shaving after finally getting disgusted at the
escalating feature/blade/price creep of cartridge razors. Getting hard

Did you try schick quattro , if not, you must. I have and I am no
longer disgusted, they last half a year each for me.

to find the Sensor Excel blades locally that I've been using the past
few years, started buying them in lots on ebay. Last batch is ****, I'm
wondering if I just got a bad batch or counterfeits. Regardless, even
the good ones only gave 4-5 shaves at best for a cost of around .20/shave.

Setting up for DE shaving entailed up front costs, but I got a lot of 50
blades for about $8 and so far look to get 3-4 shaves each for a cost of
around .06/shave. So in the first year I'll more than amortize the whole
setup. Biggest downside is I can't just shave blind in the shower
anymore, one does have to pay attention to blade angle with a DE razor,
but I've yet to nick myself. (though to be fair, the razor I selected is
not aggressive at all. Biggest upside besides the cost savings is
getting a much better shave.

Jon