Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale Upscale is offline

Default O/T: Major Sea Changes

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 17:23:17 -0400, vonKevin
wrote:

So tell me - Are you saying that no one should be allowed to buy
better than the basic health care coverage, simply because there are
people who can't afford it?

Feeble attempt at putting words in my mouth. I'm saying that there
should be a basic level of medicine available to everybody who needs
it no matter what wage they earn. After that, if someone wants
something more than the basic standard then they're free to go buy it.
AND, that is exactly the system that many countries operate under,
including Canada. Should someone want additional aid not covered under
the existing Canadian standard, then they can and often do head down
to the US to buy it.

That is NOT what currently exists in the US since there are millions
without ANY medical protection whatsoever.

People should be treated equally under the law, naturally - but people
are NOT equal, and never will be, and artificial methods to force them
to be equal have been repeadedly proven ineffective.

You're right, people are not treated equally. But money and power are
poor tools to differentiate equality. It's a travesty to even believe
that. Thousands of your young, less affluent people go off in your
armed services and are killed regularly. The rich and powerful sit
back and benefit from this sacrifice. What exactly makes the rich and
powerful more deserving of life? I'm kind of dumb so I'd appreciate
if you explained that one to me.

If I had more money than you, does that make me better than you? I
might be a thief and a mass murderer, but I'm better than you because
I can buy more than you can? Ridiculous assumption, but that's
essentially what you're saying to me. Being able to pay for something
is not and never will be the defining benchmark for equality or being
more equal or more deserving ~ not in a civilized society anyway.