Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why do razor blades get dull so fast?

"David R.Birch" wrote:

When I started shaving in the '60's, I honed the double edged blades
on glass after I was done, this usually tripled the life of the edge
so a blade lasted 8+ shaves, and I don't have soft whiskers.

One day, I put in a "new" blade and it cut like I'd been chopping cane
with it. Seems my younger sister had borrowed it, then put it back...

Much easier in the last 35+ years since I last shaved. I've lost count
of the revolutions in shaving tech I've missed.

When I had to start shaving I would get one or two shaves before the
blade was too dull to use again. I had to shave four times a day in
basic to keep the little baldfaced, brand new D.I. happy.