Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Why do razor blades get dull so fast?

"David R.Birch" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message
Is there some abrasive in my beard?
Is the water corroding the edge?

Could they make razors with carbide?

Gillette (one of my former customers) says that an average beard has
machining properties similar to those of copper wire. g

My guess is that it doesn't abrade so much as it overstresses the very
fine and therefore weak edge. The steel also corrodes -- even stainless.
They've used chrome plating and that helps somewhat.

Anyone old enough to remember blue blades knows that they've made a lot
of progress in the years since. They were made of very high-carbon steel,
hardened to within an inch of its life, and it was rare to get more than
two shaves out of a double-edged blade.

When I started shaving in the '60's, I honed the double edged blades on
glass after I was done, this usually tripled the life of the edge so a
blade lasted 8+ shaves, and I don't have soft whiskers.

One day, I put in a "new" blade and it cut like I'd been chopping cane
with it. Seems my younger sister had borrowed it, then put it back...

Something like that almost cost me my marriage, shortly after I was married.
g Somehow my wife's legs gave that blade an edge that turned my neck into
hamburger.

Much easier in the last 35+ years since I last shaved. I've lost count of
the revolutions in shaving tech I've missed.

David