Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Why do razor blades get dull so fast?

On Mar 22, 1:41*pm, Ignoramus7894
wrote:
The short answer is the following.

When I used Gillette blades (Mach3?), they would wear out in two weeks.

Now I use Schick Quattro blades and they last me 6 months.

It is nothing short of amazing.

The Fusion blade carts last me a couple of months of daily use, each.
Have a blue strip on them, when that's gone, it's definitely time to
change it. Downside is that they're about 3-4 bucks apiece. Used to
get a couple of weeks out of the old double-edge jobbies, but those
last shaves weren't anything great. A 10 pack was about $6-7 last
time I got some. They would still rust, so probably the edge
deteriorated from both wear and corrosion. Don't seem to have that
with the Fusion blades. Probably a higher chrome content and/or more
exotic additives. The b-in-l says the Fusion carts only last him a
week, tops. Difference in beards, I guess. He said he only got about
1-2 shaves off a blade before the Fusion. Guess he grows steel wool.

Stan