Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What steel for pry bars?

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 23:44:29 -0400, the infamous Bob Engelhardt
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

... Why reinvent the wheel?

'Cause I need a wheel with a very large diameter AND narrow tread AND a
hub to fit a specific axle stub.

The tin I worked with had a _center_ nail or two. I thought that was
what you were looking to remove. Perimeters are mucho easier (but
still a major pain.)

***
Satanley makes a mini wonder bar which I use to get into small spaces.
It's made of tough spring steel, about 5" long, 1/2" wide, maybe 3/32"
thick, with a 1" long pry head. This is your best bet.
http://fwd4.me/ITT Vaughan 5-1/4"?
***

I grind the curved end of my HF multipurpose pry bars thin on the belt
sandah for trim and tin, too. http://fwd4.me/ITO

Then again, tin is easily beat back into shape on the edges. Stock up
on repousse hammers and make wooden dies for the edge shapes with a
dremel and tubafore if necessary.

I'd also use a scribe to remove the paint from that joint so you can
see the edge you're after a bit more clearly.

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.