Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default What steel for pry bars?

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
First, what you're describing sounds quite a bit like a Red Devil pry bar
that I have -- my thinnest one, which is tapered very thin, about 1-1/2"
wide, and really strong. ...

Like so?
http://tinyurl.com/ycv3vdg

That's the one. It's served me well for around 20 years. It fits right
between a thick putty knife and my Stanley flat pry bar in thickness and
strength, and it gets a lot of use. I used it to pry off the lap siding on
one entire side of my house, and it didn't damage that 80-year-old cedar.

I'd start with something already made if at all possible. It's not that
you need great strength, it's just that you're otherwise dealing with
more variables than it's worth.

I'm beginning to think that starting with something like the Red Devil is
the right way to go. But that some customization is likely. One problem
is that there are a LOT of pry bars online, but I'd really like to put my
hands on them and the best local hardware store doesn't have that many.

Thanks,
Bob

Well, I hope you find one of those Red Devils or equivalent, because my
feeling is that it sounds about right for the basis for a thin pry bar as
you've described. I might try to torch it and bend it, but I think I'd just
try cutting a piece off with an abrasive wheel, spot-annealing a couple of
spots for drilling, and then drill a couple of holes for bolts through a
thicker piece of steel that would serve as a handle.

Easier said than done. g

--
Ed Huntress