Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What steel for pry bars?

Dave__67 wrote:

Maybe you could modify a shingle ripper into a pry bar, since the
prying force will be pretty low.

I have a shingle ripper & it's much too thick & blunt. A sledge hammer
for my tack hammer job

Seems like getting the pry bar in there, then getting a fulcrum in
near it might get the nails out with a straighter pull?

Bar in, pull bar down a little, insert fulcrum (on a longish handle),
then push bar up towards the ceiling.

I like that. The fulcrum could be a 1/4" rod with a 90 degree leg.
Usually we can pull down to loosen, but if the bar isn't far enough in
it doesn't work.

Thanks
Bob