Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What steel for pry bars?

Steve W. wrote:
I think I would try using a clamp style nail puller on a slide hammer to
remove the nails. Less damage to the tin and probably much faster. I
would probably take a set of vice grips, weld a set of tapered jaws on
the end to grip under the nail head. Then attach that to a slide hammer.

I'm skeptical - I think that getting under the nail head would be more
time consuming than getting behind the tin. Here's a picture of a
sharpened pry bar getting behind the tin. The arrow points to a nail head!

Tin is VERY, VERY easy to damage. BTDT working on a church kitchen
ceiling. Decided that decorative tin is WAY to much trouble...

It certainly is a lot of trouble! Today we discovered that some
ceilings have gotten wet and the nails rusted. The heads come off or
the tin tears before the nails pull out. !&%$#(!

We are being motivated by the high prices this stuff brings from the
yuppies. And it's volunteer labor being used G. There's a limit,
though, so we'll see how far it goes.

Bob