Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default The Towers bedroom project, Completed!

wrote in message
WOW, Leon! Very nicely done!

Thank you Robert!

I think I like the detailing on the project the best. I like the
lines and patterns on the foot board and the drawers and doors. Just
enough detail to make it look really classy.

You know,,,;~) here comes a life long dream story. When I was younger,
probably in my early 20's, I had a reoccouring dream. I lived in a large
house with a stair case that was on the outer walls. The stair case was
lined with book cases on the landings that also served as "stair case
dirrection changers"? The wood work was probably walnut and had lots of
details. It was the kind of stair case that resembled a hall way and had
lots of things to catch your attention. Basically the stair case "was" the
destination, I never made it to the top in my dreams.

I have always dreamed of having that house...HA! Well my wife are still in
our starter home that we were only going to stay in for 4 or 5 years, 29
years ago. Oddly the house still works for us and I decided to make our
small bed room into my "destination".

I will confess that I got the head and foot board idea from an Amish
furniture store. Their bed had the muntins in the upper panels similar to
my bed. Because the bed was in an Amish store, and as you may very well
know, you are not allowed to take pictures. I had to make a mental image
and everything evolved from there. The lower bed storage drawers, towers,
and light bridge are all of my own design. I think the light bridge is the
what makes me think back to my old dream with that old fashoned look.
Laying under the bridge and looking up you see things that you don't
normally see from the angle that my pictures show. I still look inside the
tower cubbys and wonder how all the inside details came out astetically
pleasing. Basically the in sides look like the out sides. While I
phisically did all the work with out help except to cut a large panel and
now and then I truely had a higher power standing by my side all the way
through. I am still not sure how I was able to build the 8 side panels of
the towers with 64 pre mortised Domino holes for 8 fixed shelves on 8
different planes for both towers and it all come together perfectly, first
try.

Now if I can just figure out how and find the time to move that picture that
is half covered by "Kim's tower", ;~)

I am liking less complicated designs these days, and those look just
about perfect to my eye. Like I said, just enough to make it look
great.

Thank you again Robert.

I caught your comment on making the posts from plywood and veneering
them. Excellent.

Cutting veneer with my Laguna BS is fun, you get what you expect. I
discovered however that 3/16" veneer, I used this thickness to reface a
neighbors kitchen cabinets in 2008, is pretty much like working with normal
wood. It is less likely to be a problem in the corners and is thick enough
to take a whack. It does not immediately curl when you apply glue and can
be "pinned" to prevent movement while clamping.

Like the others that have mentioned it, I am NOT going to let Kathy
see this pics!

Aw come on Robert! LOL