Expert Woodworker

Default WORKING TIPS FOR NEW WOODWORKERS 1

B a r r y B u r k e J r .
wrote in :

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 14:46:58 GMT, Expert Woodworker
wrote:

Stop the two bit detective work. I never claimed to be a long time
Usenet poster. That does not put a dent in my woodworking experience.
Like I said, the specific tools that I endorsed are fine for a
beginner.

Certainly! Back to the original questions, and onward with helping
newbies. G I'm seeking clarifications to the following expert
recommendations, as maybe _I_ can learn something.

So, Gary,

Why would you recommend a 1/4 sheet sander over a random orbit sander,
when both can be had for about the same price?

Because this is the sander that my grandson ordered and I find the quality
to be acceptable for what it is.

Why would a newbie need _any_ pneumatic tool without a compressor?

I gave my grandson an old compressor of mine, so he did not need to buy
one.

Why would a newbie need a pneumatic screwdriver, when a VSR drill is
also on the list?

I did not write the shopping list, Barry. All I did was pay the bill and
test the gear.

Why a glue gun? What's your recommendation for glue for this gun?

A glue gun is nice to have around. They do have their place like for lite
detailing, though I admit that I do not use one very often. I keep alot of
titebond and gg around.

What advantage does a poor table saw _and_ a cheap circular saw have
over a high quality circular saw and edge guide?

He insisted on the table saw. I tested it and it is not as bad I expected
once you get the guide set. I agree about the circular saw and the one he
has was another surprise once we changed the blade.

Wouldn't a woodworker need some sort of measuring device and angle
layout tools? What would you recommend?

Of course, I have tons of this stuff around. He did not need to buy this.

LET ME REPEAT: I ENDORSED A LIST OF SPECIFIC TOOLS THAT WERE PICKED OUT BY
MY GRANDSON.

PS. I would have gladly articulated more if I were not so aggressively
attacked. I'm just an ole man trying to be helpful. Sorry if I appear to be
a joke in your eyes.