Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is Plain/Flat Sawn Plywood Veneer Worth It?

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 14:35:54 -0500, the infamous "dadiOH"
scrawled the following:

-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/18/10 8:38 AM, dadiOH wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/17/10 9:18 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
If money is no object, why not forgo the plywood and use solid
Cherry to make your panels?

Because plywood is so darn easy and stable.

Easy, yes; stable, not necessarily. If you don't believe me, come
look at the cabinets I made a year or so ago for my wife's laundry
room using 1/4" birch ply for the panels. The four doors on the
lower cabinet are fine; the four doors (about the same size as the
lowers) are warped beyond belief...one corner on each is standing
out 1-2"!! And yes, they were flat originally. One of these days -
when I can conquer my urge to just destroy them - I'll make new
ones. And I won't be using 1/4" ply (or *any* ply) for the panels.

Help me understand this. Are these just panels, or did you use rail
and stiles?
I don't see the proverbial snow ball's chance in he!! of a 1/4"
plywood panel warping solid wood rails and stiles.

Well, they did.

Remind the little woman that she shouldn't store wet clothes in the
cabinets.

--
No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up.
--Lily Tomlin