Posted to rec.woodworking
eclipsme[_2_] eclipsme[_2_] is offline

Default Is Plain/Flat Sawn Plywood Veneer Worth It?

On 3/18/2010 12:51 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/18/10 9:02 AM, StephenM wrote:
I vote for flat sawn .

IMO, flat sawn cherry looks nice. I made some bedside tables for a buddy
that had cherry riftsawn (solid) tops and drawerfronts. They looked good,
different than plainsawn, but not better.

If it were White Oak I would feel differently, but for cherry stick with
plain.

I guess I confused people with the cherry thing. I just used that as an
example of the price difference. I haven't settled on a wood, yet. I'll
definitely go with cherry, if I can, since we like a natural finish.

I'm not a big fan of oak for cabinets, anyway.

I am just about to start a new job and will be ordering 3/4 quarter sawn
maple for the drawer fronts and doors. I am looking for the relatively
straight grain that qtr gives you vs the cathedral grain of flat sawn.
It just has to do with what look you are after and your budget. I guess
I am paying about $50 more per sheet to get the qtr and I am having to
have it made up special. Plain sawn is stocked.

Neither is better than the other. Which do you want to use is the question.

JMHO
Harvey