Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Is Plain/Flat Sawn Plywood Veneer Worth It?

My only real experience is with QS white oak and I have found the QS
ply to be very underwhelming in terms of figure. Not sure why that is
but never really had much impressive figure and there is no stability
enhancments since it is ply so the extra money for QS, which looked
like rift wasn't worth it in my opinion.

I've always been able to find QSWO plywood with nice figure here on the
Gulf Coast:

The bottom doors in this corner cabinet I build a few years back are
frame and panel doors with 1/4" QSWO plywood panels.

Here they are with just one coat of stain:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/corncab21.jpg

And here are the doors after spraying with amber shellac and the piece
was put into service:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/QSPlydoors.jpg

I thought the QSWO ply ended up matching quite nicely with the QSWO
stock used for the rest of the piece after all was said and done.

The two back panels of the case are 3/4" QSWO ply, and they have a nice
figure also, although you can't tell by the archaic digital photo.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08