Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_4_] Steve B[_4_] is offline

Default What steel for pry bars?

"Ignoramus18751" wrote in message
On 2010-03-18, Steve B wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
It doesn't have to be hard in the sense of holding an edge (no cutting
involved). But it doesn't seem to me (by intuition ONLY) that mild
steel
would be "strong" enough. It seems like it would bend too easily.

But not-bending is a matter of tensile strength, yes? And mild steel
and
hard steel have the same tensile strength, right? Or, is it a matter of
yield verses ultimate strength?

Bottom line - what should I use use to make a pry bar? (It will have
very
specific geometry, so store-bought is not an option.)

Thanks,
Bob

I will not offer any advice on how to do that. You will hear from those
who
know how to make it stiff.

My comment is: Give it to me for half an hour. I'll find out if it can
be
bent. I haven't met one yet that I couldn't bend. And mostly by taking
them outside their limits.

Steve

Can you bend them without using pipe extensions?

I have, yes. When I was younger. I bent one recently straightening it by
putting a hydraulic jack on it.

Steve