Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default What steel for pry bars?

Ignoramus18751 wrote:
On 2010-03-18, Steve B wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
It doesn't have to be hard in the sense of holding an edge (no
cutting involved). But it doesn't seem to me (by intuition ONLY)
that mild steel would be "strong" enough. It seems like it would
bend too easily.

But not-bending is a matter of tensile strength, yes? And mild
steel and hard steel have the same tensile strength, right? Or, is
it a matter of yield verses ultimate strength?

Bottom line - what should I use use to make a pry bar? (It will
have very specific geometry, so store-bought is not an option.)

Thanks,
Bob

I will not offer any advice on how to do that. You will hear from
those who know how to make it stiff.

My comment is: Give it to me for half an hour. I'll find out if it
can be bent. I haven't met one yet that I couldn't bend. And
mostly by taking them outside their limits.

Steve

Can you bend them without using pipe extensions?

I can and have . And I'm not a very big guy , I only weigh around 150 - up
from 127-132 five years ago when I quit smoking . (actually 10:03 PM on the
21st will be 5 yrs) .

--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"