Posted to alt.home.repair
Kate[_5_] Kate[_5_] is offline

Default Silestone Counter Tops

chaniarts wrote:
Kate wrote:
Ken wrote:
Kate wrote:
For those of you with silestone counter tops, what are the pros and
cons? What you get it again?

Thanks.

Kate
I have had a 3 cm. Silestone counter installed for about two
years now. I have about 54 square feet of it and it turned out
beautiful. The seams are barely visible and one would need to hunt
for them in order to find them. I spent a lot of time researching
different materials and decided on Silestone because it does not
stain or need to be sealed like Granite does. I like things that
last a long time and require little maintenance. I am sure you will
have someone install it that has the proper tools and knowledge, as
it is too expensive a project to risk a screw up.

I am very pleased and would install it again in a heartbeat. Shop
around for the best price as all contractors try to make the
most they can from a project.

I have also ruled out granite. A friend of mine has it, and it is
shiny black and shows all kinds of fingerprints, etc. I think a
lighter color would have been much better, and he agrees.

Glad you like your Silestone, as I think that is what I am going to go
with as well.

Thank you!

granite comes in many hundreds of colors. not all of it needs sealing. not
all of it stains. one shouldn't rule out granite because of a sample size of
one.

one shouldn't cut on any non-wood or plastic surface, as it's bad for the
knives.

i used large granite tiles rather than a single slab, installed with minimal
grout lines, as i could do that myself. i like that i can pull pans out of
the oven and place them directly on the counter. they were seals 8 years ago
at installation time, and have never stained.

i purchased a single tile and left various stainable items (lemon, wine,
grease, etc) on it for days before i chose what i installed.

This is certainly good to know. A friend purchased a condo four years
ago. It came with granite tiles and she loves it. I think there is
good and bad in everything. Thanks for this info.