Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Silestone Counter Tops

For those of you with silestone counter tops, what are the pros and
cons? What you get it again?

Thanks.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Kate wrote in -
september.org:

For those of you with silestone counter tops, what are the pros and
cons? What you get it again?

Thanks.

Kate

We have a Silestone countertop in the kitchen we rebuilt about 7-8 years
ago. We love it. It still looks pretty much like it always did. What I
would different is get the whole thing made of a single piece. Because a
part (about 1/5th) is about 1 1/2 inch wider than the rest, 2 pieces were
matched together. While the seam was totally invisible at first, that
seam is now just a little more visible. We had very soon after
installation a booboo, where a piece with a size of about a coin dollar
chipped out. It was repaired free, but looks a little different from the
rest. Neither "flaw" is found easily by someone who doesn't know where
to look.

We cut on it, and everything. It has never stained, wipes easily, and
because it is white with flecks it is light and still doesn't show a
little dirt. We made the back splash of dark blue tiles, which gives our
tiny kitchen a lot of apparent space.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
For those of you with silestone counter tops, what are the pros and
cons? What you get it again?

Thanks.

Kate

I have had a 3 cm. Silestone counter installed for about two years now.
I have about 54 square feet of it and it turned out beautiful. The
seams are barely visible and one would need to hunt for them in order to
find them. I spent a lot of time researching different materials and
decided on Silestone because it does not stain or need to be sealed like
Granite does. I like things that last a long time and require little
maintenance. I am sure you will have someone install it that has the
proper tools and knowledge, as it is too expensive a project to risk a
screw up.

I am very pleased and would install it again in a heartbeat. Shop
around for the best price as all contractors try to make the most they
can from a project.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Han wrote:
Kate wrote in -
september.org:

[...]

Thank you for this information.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

I have also ruled out granite. A friend of mine has it, and it is shiny
black and shows all kinds of fingerprints, etc. I think a lighter color
would have been much better, and he agrees.

Glad you like your Silestone, as I think that is what I am going to go
with as well.

Thank you!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
Ken wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

granite comes in many hundreds of colors. not all of it needs sealing. not
all of it stains. one shouldn't rule out granite because of a sample size of
one.

one shouldn't cut on any non-wood or plastic surface, as it's bad for the
knives.

i used large granite tiles rather than a single slab, installed with minimal
grout lines, as i could do that myself. i like that i can pull pans out of
the oven and place them directly on the counter. they were seals 8 years ago
at installation time, and have never stained.

i purchased a single tile and left various stainable items (lemon, wine,
grease, etc) on it for days before i chose what i installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

chaniarts wrote:
Kate wrote:
Ken wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

This is certainly good to know. A friend purchased a condo four years
ago. It came with granite tiles and she loves it. I think there is
good and bad in everything. Thanks for this info.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 18, 12:30*pm, "chaniarts"
wrote:
Kate wrote:
Ken wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

Agreed. Our granite doesn't stain at all. We cut on a plastic
cutting board next to the under-mount sink. This combination makes it
really easy to clean up. If I were laying it out I'd put the disposal
on the other side, though.

one shouldn't cut on any non-wood or plastic surface, as it's bad for the
knives.

i used large granite tiles rather than a single slab, installed with minimal
grout lines, as i could do that myself. i like that i can pull pans out of
the oven and place them directly on the counter. they were seals 8 years ago
at installation time, and have never stained.

I don't like grout on counter tops, but that's me. Granite is
fantastic for baking, BTW. The island makes great cookies. ;-)

i purchased a single tile and left various stainable items (lemon, wine,
grease, etc) on it for days before i chose what i installed.

Good idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 10:30:32 -0700, "chaniarts"
wrote:

granite comes in many hundreds of colors. not all of it needs sealing. not
all of it stains. one shouldn't rule out granite because of a sample size of
one.

My last RE agent said: "There is a stain in the granite." I looked at
it, and still bought the house!

Seems the first owner had a habit of sitting the dish detergent bottle
on the counter instead on the sink edge.

Green dish soap, on granite counter over time equals a brown stain
sigh

I love this house :-/