Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Is Plain/Flat Sawn Plywood Veneer Worth It?

On 3/18/10 2:35 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Help me understand this. Are these just panels, or did you use rail
and stiles?
I don't see the proverbial snow ball's chance in he!! of a 1/4"
plywood panel warping solid wood rails and stiles.

Well, they did.

I'm not going to question that you experienced this problem, just your
diagnosis of it. :-)

If those were made of solid wood rails and stiles with 1/4" plywood
panels, there is no way on this planet that the 1/4" plywood warped,
causing the rails and stile to warp, as well. It's a simple matter of
reversed cause and effect, here. The rails/stiles, for whatever
reason, warped and pulled the plywood with them.

Now, if you're saying the doors are made only from a rectangle of 1/4"
plywood, then yes, with all that humidity, I can see an unsupported
piece of 1/4" plywood curling up like a ribbon, in no time.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--