Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Is Plain/Flat Sawn Plywood Veneer Worth It?

On 3/18/10 8:41 AM, Leon wrote:

Something to watch out for,

All of the quarter sawn plywood that I have seen and purchased is made up
of book matched slices. Some times there are 8, some times there are 12
slices to cover a sheet of plywood. This can look strange if you are using
more than one sheet and you want everything to look symetrical. Under
certain lighting conditions you can plainly see each strip.
IMHO you want to hand pick the sheets you get.

This is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Thanks, Leon.

Notice here, that the slices are obvious in the foot and head boards, under
a flash exposure. Notice that the slices are not noticeable on the towers.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4243010840/

Yes, I see. Definitely a color difference, but the grain is fine in my
book. (pun)

Fortunately the obvious slices do not show up under "my" normal lighting
conditions.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4275428546/

And finally the finished project.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4436686012/

So, just to be clear, all the panels on that project are flat sawn veneer?

Great work, by the way!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)