Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave__67 Dave__67 is offline

Default What steel for pry bars?

On Mar 18, 1:51*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
It doesn't have to be hard in the sense of holding an edge (no cutting
involved). *But it doesn't seem to me (by intuition ONLY) that mild
steel would be "strong" enough. *It seems like it would bend too easily..

But not-bending is a matter of tensile strength, yes? *And mild steel
and hard steel have the same tensile strength, right? *Or, is it a
matter of yield verses ultimate strength?

Bottom line - what should I use use to make a pry bar? *(It will have
very specific geometry, so store-bought is not an option.)

Thanks,
Bob

I think a big question is, what are the dimensions?
What I see called a 'pry bar' covers a pretty big area, from thin and
wide (carpentry) to something more akin to a crowbar.

My thin carpentry ones seem to have a bit of carbon in them, given the
sparks they give off when I sharpen them.

Dave