JR9er

Default WORKING TIPS FOR old WOODWORKER

hey gang,

My advice is this. If woodworking looks like it may appeal to you do what I
did. Start off with a good circular saw (PC) and an 18 volt cordless drill
(DeWalt) and possibly a router if needed. I chose a DeWalt combo kit. Then buy
a plan or download one of the many freebies on the web, for a simple project -
say a picnic table or bookcase or garden bench.

If you have fun or have a knack you didn't know you possesed, get another plan.
As your experience grows you'll get the tools you need when you need them. Use
the wreck for advice when contemplating new tool purchases.

If you find you don't like to work with wood - impatient, confusing, whatever,
you'll at least have a good circular saw and portable drill which will always
be used for something around the house.

I've only been at this for about a year and have yet to get the high-end tools
like a quality table saw (I use my circ saw w/clamp guide or a router) So,
start with what you need first is my advice. Besides, you'll be amazed at the
accumulated expense of all the little things you'll need as you progress such
as nails, screws (different sizes, different uses), levels, squares, various
hand tools, hardware, finishes, stains, brushes, molding, blades, nail sets,
drill bits, counter sinks, lumber (my first 3 projects involved making things
only with 2x material), sandpaper, etc, etc.

Just start small and grow with your abilities.
-Jami