Kevin French

Default WORKING TIPS FOR old WOODWORKER

Expert Woodworker wrote:
WORKING TIPS FOR NEW WOODWORKERS - Episode 1

Hi. I am woodworker with over 40 years of professional experience. I am
posting this series of episodes to help new woodworkers with some basics
that most newbies are confused about.

POWER TOOLS: Most new woodworkers are very confused about their first tool
purchases. There is temptation to buy cheap, inferior stuff when you are
new because you don't want to invest that much in an activity that you may
not be very good at. Woodworking, IMHO, does require a natural talent and
you need to spend a fair amount of time woodworking before you would know
if you have this talent. But, if you buy the cheapest tools you can find,
you will probably get discouraged before you go very far.

Then WHY did you do just that below (snipped)

Then you will have the self-procalimed experts (like some of the regulars
of this newsgroup) who will tell you to start out with only the best. This
is nothing but pure liquid hogwash! There is no reason you need to blow
your life savings on power tools to get started as a woodworker.

Episode 1 - YOUR OWN SHOP FOR UNDER $500:

If you spend a little time during the year you could have come up with...

A couple, three hand planes from yard sales/flea market. $20

CS & Rip saw-same source, another $20

Set of Marples 6 for $40

Jig and stone to sharpen chisels and irons $50+/-

A B&D Screwgun $50

That ROS in an above reply $75+/-

A couple of Brushes $????? Been so long since I've had to buy one.

Put the rest into a BETTER TS

Just my $.02 I only have about 15yrs of WW'n, might be my ipnorance
showing Yes the list can be adjusted in any number of ways. but you can
get better tools and a better experience.

He would be FAR better served by the above list than the junk you bought
him. If he knows how to do it by hand, and how to sharpen that is more
important. It also makes many quiet hours of instruction/quality time.

Here's where I get flamed, but anything that has a blade and spins, I
won't buy from HF, ESSSSPECIALLY for my grandson.

Kevin

IN THE NEXT EPISODE 2: How to use your table saw