Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Design for my garage shop

On 3/17/2010 3:32 AM, Mike M wrote:
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:36:47 -0500, wrote:

There may be one advantage (albeit slight) to wiring a "dedicated
circuit" for a stationary tool, particularly in shops in "garages" ... a
"dedicated circuit" is exempt from being GFCI protected in many locales.

At one time in the early days of GFCI, it was worth doing so as to not
have to deal with nuisance trips, which are no longer the problem they
once were.

You may be spot on this. I only do commercial industrial so I'm not
right up on residential but I believe all garage circuits require gfi.
There are exceptions for appliances and dedicated circuits. May be a
drawback garage shops, but I think most repair shops are now required
to have gfi circuits.

We are required in most municipalities where I build to have GFI
protection on all "wet area" receptacles ... this includes bathroom,
utility rooms with sinks, kitchens, garages, sun rooms with drains, and
all exterior receptacles.

We are also required to have AFCI protection on all dwelling bedroom
circuits.

On the latter, I've had homeowners who are selling a home I built when
AFCI wasn't required, or even available, and during the sale process
failed a buyer's third party inspection because lack of AFCI protection,
I've gone back and had the electrical contractor install them at our
cost ... seems like good business, and a prudent thing to do in this
litigious society.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08