Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Design for my garage shop

On 3/17/2010 1:20 AM, Bill wrote:
I copied& pasted below from:
http://www.handymanclub.com/Projects....aspx?id=20483
(We've given The HandyMan Club a bad rap here--but they had a decent
article).

I quote:
"When determining where to install a subpanel, be sure to follow the
National Electrical Code (NEC) requirements. In front of the subpanel, you’ll
need free working space that’s 36 in. deep and at least as wide as the
subpanel (or 30 in. wide — whichever is greater). The space above the panel
must be completely open to the structural ceiling (no shelving, etc.), and
the space below must be open to the floor (no lawnmowers, trash cans,
workbenches, etc.)."

Am I to understand from this that if a subpanel is mounted flush on a wall,
that nothing is to be place in FRONT of it (ever)? It comes down to where
it is written: "the space below must be open to the floor"---does that refer
to the space directly below the subpanel or include the 36" in front of it
mentioned earlier. Otherwise, I'd have what--a fire violation?

It's a 10-4 that you would have an "electrical code violation",

That said, when the inspector leaves most home owners go ahead and make
a clothes closet out of that "machine room" .... if you now what I mean.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08