Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Design for my garage shop

"Bill" wrote in message
Meter question: Understanding this will ease my concerns about my tester.
How come one can hook it up to two hot 120 lines (240v) and NOT generate
a meltdown in the unit? Big resisters? BTW, I have read some of the
"one hand
in the back pocket" sort of safety suggestions.

Bill

I just took the back of the meter off and check and the meter has an 850k
resister behind the 1000v input socket.

Wikipedia say P (watts) = V^2 / R where V is the voltage and R is the
resistance (in Ohms). BTW, Wikipedia seems
like a great place to do additonal reading on the matter....

Does that mean that for 240v, my meter is absorbing 240^2 / 850k = .0678
Watts (of "heat"), or
is this even close (in an RMS sense)?

Bill