Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Design for my garage shop

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

You need to run that question past again Bill - it makes no sense as
written.

Sorry about that.

I'll take a stab at what I think you might be asking. Your
outlets (devices) are always "directly" grounded - even if ground fault
protected. GFCI's simply separate the neutral from the ground at the
device so they can monitor leakage. The device is however, still very
much grounded, and all downstream outlets are grounded in the usual
manner, which is to say that they are installed just like any other outlet
which is not ground fault protected.

Thank you! Between you and Swingman, you helped me understand
that a lot better. So the GFCI at one outlet is able to monitor the
"leakage" downstream...

Meter question: Understanding this will ease my concerns about my tester.
How come one can hook it up to two hot 120 lines (240v) and NOT generate
a meltdown in the unit? Big resisters? BTW, I have read some of the "one
hand
in the back pocket" sort of safety suggestions.

Bill

--

-Mike-