Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Design for my garage shop

Bill wrote:

Hmm...I have one of those too. The fine print at the link says "not
for use with Ground Fault Interrupt -GFI outlets".
So you show an outlet is GFCI protected by checking another outlet
downstream (I've read that a GFCI breaker
is often put on the first outlet off a line)? So, I take it that of
the device an outlet properly grounded, and it's not directly
grounded, then it must have been done upstream with GFCI? GFCI is
one of those things I need to read up on...

You need to run that question past again Bill - it makes no sense as
written. I'll take a stab at what I think you might be asking. Your
outlets (devices) are always "directly" grounded - even if ground fault
protected. GFCI's simply separate the neutral from the ground at the device
so they can monitor leakage. The device is however, still very much
grounded, and all downstream outlets are grounded in the usual manner, which
is to say that they are installed just like any other outlet which is not
ground fault protected.

--

-Mike-