Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Design for my garage shop

On 3/16/2010 9:15 PM, Bill wrote:
"Lee wrote in message

"Bill" wrote

When the idea of adding an additional (flip) switch to each 240v

circuit
was suggested that was one of my concerns--that it was something

else to
go wrong, which would in turn would make it harder to isolate a

problem.

If you understand the layout and how to use a a multimeter, finding the
problem is pretty straightforward.

I've got an inexpensive voltimeter which has worked fine for

working with
12v in the car, but I'm not sure whether it would be prudent to plug it
into a 240v outlet. I won't say I'm skeered, but I was thinking about
using it with gloves! : ) I sure believe I should test any
outlet before I plug a new $1000 tool into it.

Again, get an inexpensive multimeter. They are worth their weight in
gold. They have settings for 110 and 220 volts.

I have a Radio Shack "8-Range Multitester " (bought new in 1979) : AC/DC
Voltage .... 15V, 150V, 1000V
This is the same thing you are talking about, right?

That'll work ... just make sure you set it higher than the expected
voltage your are attempting to test.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08