Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Design for my garage shop

On 3/16/2010 8:49 PM, Bill wrote:
wrote in message
On 3/16/2010 4:19 PM, Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:

Don't know about your voltmeter, but ones that can be used for testing
all voltages are very inexpensive and handy to have it you're going to
be doing your own electrical work.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. I'm going to have to learn to use
mine "better" before I plug it into high voltage...

Only 120v use, but I carry one of these in the toolkit in my truck at all
times ... and in my pocket during electrical inspections in houses I'm
building. Mostly to insure that circuits are live and wired correctly, but
also to verify to an inspector that a circuit is indeed GFCI protected
(you don't always know where the GFCI receptacle upstream is located)

http://www.tripplite.com/EN/products...xtmodelID=3941

Hmm...I have one of those too. The fine print at the link says "not for use
with Ground Fault Interrupt -GFI outlets".

Sorry, I grabbed the wrong link. This is the one I have:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...LAID=220252111

And a cheaper one that does the same thing:

http://inspectusa.com/receptaclegfci...ors-p-123.html

The GFCI outlet/receptacle itself (it has its own, built-in test circuit).

The other one is used to test that same built-in test circuit in the
GFCI receptacle, but FROM those receptacles which are on the
"downstream" side (those coming off the "load" terminals on the GFCI
receptacle).

So you show an outlet is GFCI protected by checking another outlet
downstream (I've read that a GFCI breaker
is often put on the first outlet off a line)? So, I take it that of the
device an outlet properly grounded, and it's not directly grounded, then it
must have been done upstream with GFCI? GFCI is one of those things I need
to read up on...

You can use a GFCI receptacle in an outlet by itself, or use it as the
first one inline in a circuit (power in connected to the "line"
terminals; power out connected to the "Load" terminals) to protect the
other receptacles "downstream" of it.

Read up on it ....

--
www.e-woodshop.net