Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Design for my garage shop

On 3/16/2010 3:35 PM, Bill wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I'm not going to get into a ****ing contest over a c'bkr that costs
less than $10, but dedicating a 2P-30 c'bkr for each 240V load not
only simplifies the installation but also allows you to isolate a
problem load without affecting other loads.

Lew

When the idea of adding an additional (flip) switch to each 240v circuit
was suggested that was one of my concerns--that it was something else to
go wrong, which would in turn would make it harder to isolate a problem.

This is a different issue than Lew's quote above.

I could have read his replied to post wrong, but it looks like Lew
"assumed" that I was talking about using two single poles c'bkrs in
place of a single two pole circuit breaker; and likewise when he was
assuming that you can't insert a 2 pole circuit breaker into any two
slots in any panel designed for using half height c'bkrs.

... if it is what it reads like, he is wrong in both assumptions. If
not, then I apologize in advance for reading it wrong.

I've got an inexpensive voltimeter which has worked fine for working
with 12v in the car, but I'm not sure whether it would be prudent to
plug it into a 240v outlet. I won't say I'm skeered, but I was thinking
about using it with gloves! : ) I sure believe I should test any
outlet before I plug a new $1000 tool into it.

Don't know about your voltmeter, but ones that can be used for testing
all voltages are very inexpensive and handy to have it you're going to
be doing your own electrical work.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08