Greg G.

Default Review of the new Porter Cable 895PK- Part 1

Swingman thus spake:

Yabbut, you got _perspective_, Greg ... you know what the real stuff is and
can make the comparison. Pity the poor guy who can't. It's sad really.
Thanks for taking the time to review it.

Thanks.
I really hated dissing the unit, I had high hopes for it - enough to
have plunked down $220 - sight unseen. I suppose it did come off
pretty badly. I read the post over for accuracy before deciding to
post, but ultimately did. Too bad PC/Delta didn't spend 10 minutes
with this unit to discover it's patent flaws before public release.
The brief mentions I have seen in various magazines seemed favorable,
so much for literary integrity. $$$

With that said, I'm sure some will disagree with my initial
evaluation, and may even get some useful work from it without ever
having noticed my points of contention. Perhaps Chinese ball bearings
are better than SKFs or Timkens these days. I just felt it was not up
to the professional standards set by Porter Cable themselves in terms
of quality and accuracy. Not to mention the thinly veiled offshore
manufacturing - claiming to be made in USA. This is just another sign
that apparently we, as American workers, cannot compete in a brisk
world marketplace. There is an ongoing hyperkinetic rush to build
overseas, and it bugs the hell out of me as I watch manufacturing
plants close all over the US - and product quality dip to new lows.

I have lived with cheap tools that, for instance, won't maintain
accurate depths of cut. A 1/8" variation in depth - or worse, a
angular skew of the bit - is not acceptable in my vision of a
professional tool. The human error factor is bad enough. This is
more what I would have expected from Ryobi or Skil product.

Sadly,
Greg