Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sylvia Else Sylvia Else is offline

Default Same FM station at two nearby positions?

On 16/03/2010 8:17 AM, mm wrote:
I have an clock radio about 30 years old that, when tuning for 88.5
FM, for example, by turning the dial, will find that station, and then
a little higher will be another station, and a little higher still
will be 88.5 again, often a stronger signal than the first one.

I'm sure it's not a second station playing the same stuff.

I know about harmonics on AM MW and Short Wave, but here the tuned
frequencies are so close, and also I didn't think there was stuff like
this involving FM. What is going on?

Almost sounds as if it's an AM/FM receiver that's running its MW
hetrodyne oscillator as well as that for VHF. You could then appear to
get two signals about 0.5 MHz apart.

Of course, that would imply two distinct oscillators. Was it ever done
that way?

Sylvia.