Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh William R. Walsh is offline

Default Same FM station at two nearby positions?

Hi!

I had 3 GM cars in a row, and I'd like to get back to GM. I heard
about some GM convertible last week and googled for it, only to find
out it's a Pontiac, which afaik, they don't make any more.

Pontiac is winding down through 2010. Their cars will be available for a
while yet.

I'll be looking for a car about 5 to 7 years old, and I'm glad to know
about this because 4 presets really isn't enough.

By that point, the GM radios didn't do that any more. I reckon the last ones
to support it would been sold sometime in the mid-90s, when that particular
style (did you visit the page?) finally faded away. It would have been a
very old design at that time!

These weren't bad radios though. The tuner is pretty good (although it's
quite sensitive to antenna placement), FM stereo separation is *excellent*
and the audio section doesn't lack power output. With the bass slider all
the way up, these things sound like they are driving a subwoofer, and they
will shake the rearview mirror. (!!!) Delco Electronics could build a good
radio when they wanted to.

(Chrysler has 10 AM and 10 FM. Last I checked for the 80 to 95
cars, Chrysler had 3 companies making them at one time or
another, or maybe even simultaneiously, even though they all
looked alike.)

The two sources I've seen radios from were Mitsubishi and Chrysler
themselves. It seems that Chrysler had some electronics production
facilities of their own, mostly used for the simpler (AM, AM/FM and
AM/FM/Tape) radios.

William