Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Design for my garage shop

"dpb" wrote in message
The 50A service is more than adequate for everything you'll likely ever
have in the shop (other than perhaps if you add a bunch of electric heat).
The rub is, Code won't allow putting a 20A or 30A outlet on a circuit
protected for more than the rating of the outlet (for obvious reasons if
you think about it (and this is one that I _wouldn't_ break despite my
previous comments ) ).

I don't know if you could find 50A standard configuration 240V outlets;
would doubt it. OTOMH, the options I'd see would be

a) Swap the 50A breaker for the rating of outlet(s) you want to use (Code
is happy if conductors are larger than allowed minimums for any given size
breaker),

b) Put in a small subpanel to feed the convenience outlets and wire them
w/ 10g or whatever is appropriate for the chosen feeder breaker for the
subcircuit

dbp,

Following up on your hints, I came to learn that a service outlet offering
240v
50A service is different than one offering 20A or even 15A service (although
the 20A outlet, 6-20 is compatible with 6-15). The Grizzly G-0690 TS I am
considering has a 6-20 plug (NEMA 6-20P). ; )

What a day.

Is there a rule that says a subpanel has to be a very short distance from
the main panel? I would position it about 10 feet away if I could.

Is anything (code) likely to prevent me from doing what I want with 15A and
20A
120v and 240v circuits from a subpanel (like having 10 of them)? As you
mentioned earlier,
I'm likely to stay far below the 50A threshold in terms of actual usage.

Thank you for the lesson!
Bill