Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Design for my garage shop

"dpb" wrote in message
Bill wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message

Nope ... most 220/240v woodworking tools in North America only need a
total of 3 wires to both work properly and comply with code.

The three wires needed for 220/240v operation a Two hot wires (one
from each hot leg of the service/sub panel), and one ground wire. The
ground wire, while not necessary to power the equipment, is necessary
for safety and code compliance.

Isn't the ground, then, "completing the circuit" in this case?

_NO!!!_

Okay, I got it now! I think we only studied DC circuits in electronics
class in H.S. ; )
I didn't realize the elevated-sophistication of 240v power compared to
120v...

The 50A service is more than adequate for everything you'll likely ever
have in the shop (other than perhaps if you add a bunch of electric heat).
The rub is, Code won't allow putting a 20A or 30A outlet on a circuit
protected for more than the rating of the outlet (for obvious reasons if
you think about it (and this is one that I _wouldn't_ break despite my
previous comments ) ).

I don't know if you could find 50A standard configuration 240V outlets;
would doubt it. OTOMH, the options I'd see would be

a) Swap the 50A breaker for the rating of outlet(s) you want to use (Code
is happy if conductors are larger than allowed minimums for any given size
breaker),

b) Put in a small subpanel to feed the convenience outlets and wire them
w/ 10g or whatever is appropriate for the chosen feeder breaker for the
subcircuit

I like option (b) if I can power the subpanel with the 50 amp line. Thank
you for pointing
out the issue beween the 240V outlets and the 50A power line. I'll take a
really close
look at what type of outlet is on it now (and I'm not sure if welders use a
special 50A outlet or not).

Thank you for your help!
Bill