Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Design for my garage shop

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 3/14/2010 2:34 PM, Bill wrote:
Thank you for the lessons in electricity! I take it I should be
installing
"4-wire" outlets if I'm
planning to purchase new 220v tools from Delta or Grizzly, correct?

Nope ... most 220/240v woodworking tools in North America only need a
total of 3 wires to both work properly and comply with code.

The three wires needed for 220/240v operation a Two hot wires (one from
each hot leg of the service/sub panel), and one ground wire. The ground
wire, while not necessary to power the equipment, is necessary for safety
and code compliance.

Isn't the ground, then, "completing the circuit" in this case?

BTW, I noticed that my outlet on the outside has a single 30 Amp breaker
and that the interior one has a double 50-Amp breaker (s). The 30 Amp one
on the outside
was used by the previously owner for his RV and the interior one for
welding.

My biggest tool will be a 3HP TS which Grizzly suggests a 20 Amp circuit
for. My thought was to
put a Delta 1.5 HP DC on the 30 Amp line and a series of outlets along a
wall that would support
other 220v machinery (including the TS). It seems like the 50-Amp circuit
would support several machines, one-at-a-time,
with the possible future attachment of things like a heater, for example,
later if desired.
Additionally, I'd add another 120v line for the same wall (outlets about 4
feet apart) and provide another
120v line for use by the workbench (tools).

Currently, my garage lights and outlets share a line with with the kitchen
outlets, and it is nice that a pair of
garage lights come on with the flip of a switch from the kitchen. I may add
another line for the
ceiling which would support 4 florescent lights and for whatever tool might
be convenient to plug in there.

So, that would proivde me with a total of 3 120v lines and 2 240v lines for
tools and would leave me with 3 empty slots in my junction box. Some person
dedicated two 120v lines to power 2 separate bedroom ceiling fans (seems
like a waste). Powering them from other existing circuits is probably not
worth the bother since I don't know how to easily do it. Powering them
together with one circuit may be worth considering, if necessary! If
nothing else, it would give me something to do in my free time after I
finish grinding and epoxying the floor. ; )

SWMBO is ready to see furniture being made! ; ) She doesn't see this as
all being part of the process.

Every time I come back here I think this through a little further..I'm going
to print this out so I don't forget! ; )

Thanks,
Bill